Sunday, September 20, 2009

Camping

I made it through the weekend, barely. It was my camping trip on the Mississippi River. It is such a great time. This year I decided to make it out to the island on Thursday night. In years past it was only 2 or 3 guys out there on Thursday, but this year it was 7. It is looking like that number will continue to grow in the years to follow. The weekend is really all about cooking up some great food, drinking some beer, shooting off some fireworks, relaxing and some incredible conversation around the campfire that on average stretches well into the next morning. I think the last person to leave the fire each night was somewhere around 5:00 in the morning. Not surprisingly, I think Nate was the last one standing every night. Let me get to the pictures.
Last year there was a picnic table on our island, but it was missing when we got there this year. But on a trip back to the launch, Tim and Bob spotted a picnic table on one of the other islands and snagged it.Nate and Eric bring there potato guns. I think we went through about 20 pounds of potatoes. We also learned that if you load the gun with a potato and then put a golf ball on top of that, that the golf ball goes much further. I believe we hit a barge once.But we also bring a driver and golf balls and try hitting the barges the old fashioned way with a golf club. Doug was the only one I saw hit a barge. This swing is one that sent a golf ball crashing into the barge.They never really do anything when we hit the barge, other than come out with a pair of binoculars to look at us.How quickly a Favre hater can change his mind.Borky is all on board with his new quarterback. I am pretty sure he is going to screw them over just like he did to the Jets.Nate always has something going on. Here his beer holder that he came up with last year.But it does work.Tim and Doug shotgunning a beer after losing in Hillbilly Horseshoes.A great sunset on Friday night.Nate with a beer bong, and would anyone like to tell me what Borky is doing in the background.Favre's favorite fan doing a beer bong.Schoen's beer bong.Bob's beer bong.Saturday night dinner. Steaks over the campfire. Delicious as always.Team photo, Schoen, Doug, Eric, Tim, Borky, Wally, Joe, Nate, Chaka, Bob, Molly and myself.The Hults boys, Bob and Tim. I believe that they are the ones who started this camping trip 8 years ago.Me in another awesome sunset.Borky didn't have any luck fishing in the morning, afternoon or evening.Steaks on the grill.Tim getting the fire going after dinner.I didn't get as good of a picture this year of the ring of fire. Maybe next year I will get up in the tree for the picture.Nate recovering Sunday morning.But the Island trip couldn't be completed without a game of "Foot In the Cooler". I believe we set an unofficial record. The game started with 4 participants, Joe, Borky, Schoen and myself. Joe made it 37 seconds before he pulled out. Borky had enough at the 5 minute mark. Schoen and I cruised past the 15 minute mark, as well as the 30 minute mark. The game finished with all ice melted at 46 minutes. Schoen wanted to call it a tie, I said no, he pushed me over but I kept my foot in the cooler. I then managed to pull his foot out before mine. I think I will call that a victory. Yes the unofficial world record for "Foot in the Cooler" is 46 minutes and 48 seconds.

No comments: