Sunday, September 27, 2009

Dave Matthews Show #3 of the Summer

I am not predicting a very exciting week, so I am going to stretch this posting out for a couple days. I didn't do much more than watch TV on Friday night. I had to be prepared for the concert on Saturday, plus I had to work Saturday morning. But only for a couple of hours. I went to the show with Liquid, Doug and Myra. The concert was in Tinley Park which is about a 2 hour drive from my place. We went to the hotel and checked in. We had heard that tailgating was not allowed at the Ampitheater. So we had a couple of drinks in the hotel room before heading to the show. We pulled into the parking lot, pulled out the coolers and started having some drinks. It wasn't more than a minute later, this big white pick-up truck goes by with some meathead in the back yelling through a megaphone that "NO TAILGATING IS ALLOWED!!!" This seemed so foreign to me. I had a hard time getting my head around the idea that you couldn't tailgate. It is so stupid. We procrastinated as long as possible before heading into the venue. As we were walking to the gate people kept walking back to their cars to put their cameras back in the car. Apparently security was pretty strict. That left we with a delema with what to do with my camera and my flask of booze. I hid the camera in my sock and the flask I put in the hood of Liquid's hoodie sweatshirt. This is a professional move that always works. The one good thing about being forced to go into the show, was that we were in early enough to see the opening band, Willie Nelson. I saw Willie quite a few years ago when he opened for Phil Lesh and Friends, and I thought Willie was great. Since not all Dave Matthews fans are also Willie Nelson fans. We were able to manuver our way down to the 10th row. Some of you got a text message bragging about such a thing. After Willie we headed out to use the facilities. Doug Liquid and Myra wanted to sit in our real seats. I just couldn't do that, so I headed back down to the 10th row. I managed to make myself a figure down there for the first 3 songs before I got the boot. I moved around quite a bit for the remainder of the show and it was a great show. I doubt that many of you care about the setlist but here it is:

Don't Drink the Water (I called this song before they played it)
So Damn Lucky (A great song live)
Squirm
Gravedigger (Willie Nelson came out and sang this song with Dave)
Shake Me Like a Monkey
Seven
One Sweet World
Funny The Way It Is
Lying In the Hands of God
Recently
The Song That Jane Likes
Why I Am
You and Me (One of my favorites from the new album)
Dancing Nancies
Spaceman
Jimi Thing
So Much To Say
Anyone Seen The Bridge
Too Much (tease) (I predicted that they would also do a Too Much tease)
Ants Marching

Encore:
Baby Blue (My other favorite from the new ablum)
The Maker
Grey Street (Another great song when seen live)

So here is some Willie Nelson. This is "On the Road Again". Yes I know, I couldn't keep the camera very still in most of these videos because I was dancing around. So it is sort of like the Blair Witch goes to Dave Matthews.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where has timebomb been lately?