Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Dark Knight

I went and saw the new Batman movie last week. I thought it was pretty good. It had to be, as it is 2 hours and 45 minutes long and the time went by so fast. I was a bit disappointed to see that Katie Holmes did not return in her role as Rachel Dawes, but I didn’t miss watching her talk out of the side of her mouth. But the role of Rachel Dawes came off as so high and almighty that I think that she barely got a little more than she deserved in the end. Christian Bale was highly serviceable in his role as Batman. It is a bit annoying how his voice changes so much between when he is wearing the mask and when he isn't. But the performance that everyone has been talking about is Heath Ledger as the Joker. I am trying hard to decide if people think he did that great of a job acting, or if they are giving him more credit than he deserves just because he died before the movie even came out. I do have to say that he was incredibly believable as a total freak. There were a lot of characters to expand upon over the course of the movie, probably the reason the movie is so long. I will even say that it was better than the first one. And it is rare that the sequel is better than the original. On a 1 to 10 scale it is a solid 8. A movie you should see, and see in the theater, don't wait for DVD.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was glad they killed off the Dawes character. I thought she was a little weak. I didn't care for the political undertones or the contrived moral bargains, and the change of voice was a little annoying. However, everything else was tight. While people may be gushing over Ledger's performance b/c he is dead, I think all of the accolades are well deserved. Besides his unbelieveable tolerence for pain, that character rendition was complex and scary. It's too bad we won't ever see that performance as the joker duplicated since it's creator is dead. I believe his acting alone has turned this movie into an instant classic. I would highly recommend this movie. A must-see in the theater.

-Bubs

Anonymous said...

9.5 - 10. I really enjoyed this movie.

I saw it and from minute 1 to 165 was a total thrill ride, not really a dull/not interesting moment at all. It's too bad Ledger's Oscar may be tainted because of what most people will think will be a "sympathy" vote because he died. It's too bad because if they do make another one of these there can't really be a Joker character.

No way - he was great in this move. A true psychopathic nut-job, non sugar coated comic fodder like the old Batman movie, these 2 movies kick the crap out of the old ones. I had high expectations after Batman Begins and they nailed it.

Borky

Anonymous said...

I agree 9-10 easily. This is one of the best movies that I have ever seen. I love the joker and how is character is so creepy and kind of funny at the same time. Its too bad Ledger died because he is the best villian I have ever seen. I saw it twice in the theater and each time it was amazing. I plan on buying it when it comes out on video too. Way better than Batman Begins and I hope they just leave it like that and end it with such a great movie.

Anonymous said...

How about, "At the movies with Borky and Bubs???" Has a nice ring to it!

-Bubs

Rickie Davies said...

I am down for an episode of "At the Movies with Borky and Bubs". Just make sure the concession stand is stocked.

Anonymous said...

Make it happen. Borky is in.

-Borky

Anonymous said...

We would like to give The Dark Knight TWO GUTS UP!

-Bubs