Friday, October 21, 2005

Minnesconsin

February 1992, MLK Weekend.

This story goes back a ways, but it was something I was thinking about as I was driving home the other day. I don’t know what brought it up, but as I was thinking about this story, I was laughing out loud to myself. I hope you find it at least half that funny. This story is just another window into my life and the friends that I have. It was MLK weekend and I was heading up to Minnesota to visit my good friend, Krum, who at the time was attending the University of Minnesota and living in the dorms. I was riding up to Minnesota with Justus Klink and Matt Kaker. Up until the time of this trip we were merely acquaintances that knew of each other through Krum, but in retrospect this trip is what started us on being such close friends. We are in the car and on our way to Minnesota, in later years this trip came to be known as the trip to Minnesconsin. We are well into our trip and I would say that we were around Eau Claire when out of no where Matt exclaims “Shit!!! I forgot my toothbrush.” Then after a pause he sympathizes with himself and says “Oh well, at least I didn’t forget my underwear.” No sooner does Matt finish his sentence and Justus lets out are resounding “NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!” Matt says “You didn’t.” Justus replies “Yeah, I did.” We all have a good laugh over Justus’ lack of planning. For those of you who know Justus, this is not a surprise. We finally get up to Minnesota and we have a simply wonderful and unforgettable weekend. I am not going to kid you, there was a lot, and I mean a lot of drinking, along with us all running around and being total idiots the entire weekend. The morning that we were leaving I remembered that Krum’s parents had given me a care package to give to Krum, and the whole weekend it had been sitting in the back of Justus’ car. I ran down and grabbed it for Krum. Krum starts opening the box and going through everything. He comes across a package of underwear in the box. Krum says “Hey, new underwear, alright. Wait a minute these are opened already.” Krum continues to inspect the underwear package and its contents, “These feel kind of funky.” As Krum makes this comment about the fabric that his new underwear is made out of, Justus comes walking back into the dorm room from the showers with just the underwear on and says “Yeah, they are a little funky but they are still pretty cool. A little tight though.” Krum yells at Justus, “You are wearing my underwear?” Justus replies matter of factly, “Yeah, I forgot mine so I have been wearing yours. I had to wear them inside out a couple days. Why? Do you want them back?” These are my friends.

No comments: