Thursday, April 23, 2009

It Is The Little Things In Life

We have all heard the expression that "It is the little things in life that makes it all worth while." Last night I had a discussion with The General. Our conversation quickly turned to music, and I mentioned that the stereo in my bathroom has an alarm on it. Every morning I wake up to the sounds of one of three CDs I have in that stereo. It is a collection of live bootlegs of either Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam or U2. And these CDs play all morning as I muster up the strength to pull myself out of bed, work out, take a shower and get myself out the door to face the harsh and cruel world. I can not discount the fact that in some way, no matter how small, that listening to my favorite music every morning helps me start my day. I have obviously taken for granted the fact that I have the luxury of waking up and starting my morning off that way. The General made me keenly aware of that fact by telling me, with a heavy layer of jealousy in his voice, "I don't wake up to Dave Matthews in the morning."
Every morning that I have to wake up for work is to some degree, painful. To be honest, each and every morning as the music slowly fades in from that bathroom stereo, I contemplate calling in sick. But this morning as I awoke, my first thought, as always, was disappointment in the fact that I knew I had to crawl out of bed. But knowing that The General was out there and jealous, brought a brief smile to my face.
I would also like to take a moment to thank one of my most loyal blog readers. Bubs, thanks for the text message last night. One of the funniest things I have read in a long time.

4 comments:

Bubs said...

I don't think I stopped laughing the whole time I was over there last night!

Rickie Davies said...

Sadly that doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to. Remember when a sheepshead game could be thrown together in a matter of minutes. Back when Maas was always the 5th. We would play 3 or 4 times a week.

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy, I listen to Cracker every morning and it keeps me from going postal.

-borky
(too lazy to enter my ID)

Bubs said...

Borky,

What's with the block parties needing riot police in your town??