Friday, May 14, 2010

Dean The Machine

This is my friend, Dean. I have known Dean since I was in high school. I used to work construction with him. Every year our boss would throw a summer party at his house. The boss' house was on Lake Beulah. But to get down to the lake there was a series of 120 some steps. As you can probably guess, it was a very steep hill down to the lake and the steps zig zaged the length of the hill. This happened around my sophomore year in high school. In the afternoon the party was down by the lake but as day turned to night everyone headed up to the hill to eat. There was one problem. The beer, which was packed in ice in a garbage can, was down at the lake. Now I am not going to say that the half barrel was completely full, but it was closer to being full than to being empty. It took two or three guys to help Dean get the half barrel, including the garbage can and ice, up onto his shoulder. And then Dean marched up the 120 or so steps to the top of the hill. One of the most impressive feasts of strength I have ever seen. I can still remember the indentations the garbage can made into his shoulder.