Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

I would like to wish all of the mothers out there a happy belated Mother's Day. I had a relaxing weekend. There wasn't much to my Friday night. Saturday morning, I went for a ride around Pewaukee Lake, taking the same route that the triathlon will take in July. I managed to take 10 minutes off my time from the first time. But the time I made up wasn't because I am getting in better shape, but because I didn't make 3 wrong turns. It was cold, windy and sucked. I hope it starts getting better, then again I don't think it can get much worse. I will tell you this, it wasn't fun.
Later Saturday morning Rebecca gave me a hair cut. The time is soon coming when I just start shaving my head. It isn't looking good. In fact I have hard time deciding which is worse, my bike riding or my loss of hair.
Saturday afternoon I managed to reserve some time with Krum's dad, JFK, for a quick best of 7 ping pong match. For a retired guy, he is pretty busy. JFK might be Krum's dad, but on the ping pong table, he had me running ragged. By then end of the second game, I was dripping with sweat and was stripped down to shorts and a t-shirt. I got lucky and beat him 4 games to 1. I have to gloat because he would do the same.
Saturday evening, I stopped by Jon and Julie. I supervised as Jon helped Nick and Ethan put together Julie's Mother's Day gift. Here is Ethan's first cut with a chop saw. Note: the safety glasses or lack there of.They made a jewelery holder for Julie. Once all of the cutting was done, Haus let Ethan do the painting and had a beer, as seen in this photo.Sunday I caught a double header of Davies boys' soccer games. Ethan won and Nick lost. Look at the intensity of Ethan.I showed up a little late for Ethan's game. As I was settling into my chair, apparently there was some rough play going on in the game. The parents were yelling, or more accurately, whining to the ref. Then I looked at the ref. He was 14 years old, like he really cares about the outcome of the game. All he is worried about is getting through the game as fast as possible so that he can get paid. Here is a little piece of advice for all of you soccer parents, hockey parents, baseball parents, softball parents, basketball parents, etc., life is not fair, neither are referees, deal with it. No matter what sport it is, if you have a bunch of 10, 11 and 12 year old boys playing a game together, it will eventually get physical. They are boys, that is what they do. And don't try to relive your past athletic glories through your kids. Stop taking your kids athletic endeavors so seriously. Half of these kids that are playing now won't even end up playing varsity in high school. And maybe....maybe 1 or 2 kids that are on that varsity team will play in college. Put it in proper perspective. Parents are the worst thing about youth athletics. I can recall being at this big soccer tournament in Michigan. As I was playing the game, I heard this disturbance on the other side of this chain link fence next to the field. I looked over and here are two dads in a real fist fight, slugging it out over a parking spot. Pickle's game was pretty tough to watch. I think they lost 8-2. But I gave Nick an instructional Sunday afternoon on how to play more physical. You may call it dirty, but it isn't cheating unless you get caught.Mother's Day dinner was at my sister, Deb's. We got in a little football. The girls team won. I threw career touchdown passes 13,408-13,412.Here are half of the grandkids, Ethan, Erin, Jared, Lindsey and Nick. Abby, Josh, Zack, Sarah and Joey weren't able to make it. Too bad.Then Erin wanted her own picture.

Lyric of the Day:

Mother,

Tell your children not to walk my way,

Tell your children not to hear my words,

What they mean, What they say,

Mother.

No comments: