Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Colorado Skiing

I spent this last weekend out in Colorado. I went with Eric and Nate to go visit and ski with our friend, Russ. Let me give you the run down of the weekends events. Michel dropped us off at the airport Thursday night. We flew out on Frontier Airlines which is based out of Denver. I highly recommend flying with Frontier if you get the opportunity. The best feature, which I am sure is a feature that will be coming to other airlines, is that their airplanes are equipped with direct TV and each seat has a small 4 inch LCD in the head rest so that you can watch TV the entire trip. Of course they hit you up for $5, but it makes the flight much more enjoyable and seem to go much faster. Once in Denver we drove the hour and a half to Dillion where Russ had a time share. He wasn't around so we dropped off our stuff and went to the Dam Brewery. Since it was around midnight, it wasn't too busy but they had a horrible band playing. And what was worse is that they were so loud. I think the only song they played was called "feedback" because that is all that I heard coming from the speakers. I woke up Friday morning and I felt like absolute garbage. I only had a couple of beers the night before, so it is believed that I had altitude sickness. Seriously. I don't think I was hung over because I only had 5 beers the night before. On the way to Copper Mountain, where we skied the entire weekend, we stopped at a gas station and I threw up. See me posing with my puke in the picture. Then once we got to the parking lot at Copper Mountain I threw up again. That time was basically all bile. Fun stuff. But I didn't fly all the way out there for nothing. So I got myself together and powered through the pain and still got in close to 3 hours of skiing. After skiing we went to my favorite place in Frisco, Barkley's Bar. Their happy hour specials are great, and cheap, $1 burgers, hot dogs and tacos. And $1.50 Pabst Blue Ribbon. Saturday was pretty much a carbon copy of Friday, without me throwing up. Saturday night we played a little Texas Hold'em. Nate cleaned up on everyone. Sunday was probably the laziest day I have had in a long time. We went to the Dam Brewery again to watch the early football games. Then we went back to the place we were staying at to watch the late football game and we got a couple movies in. I was either laying on the couch or the floor for all afternoon and all night. Monday we were up pretty early and were on the hill by 9:00 a.m. They had received about 5 inches of fresh powder. It took a little time for the midwesterners to get used to skiing in powder since none of us had really skied much in it. But it was great. I guess one of the highlights of the day was while we were debating on which run to take, there was a black diamond run which went through the trees and was full of moguls. It is no surprise that of the four of us, I am the worst skier. I was going to head around this run and take a easier run and meet them at the chair lift. Then Nate said to me "You know a 7 year old girl just went down this run." I hope she fell as many times as I did. I made one quick turn to slow myself down between two trees and both my skis popped off and flew 20 feet into the woods. Maneuvering through 4 feet of snow with ski boots on to retrieve my skis in the middle of a forest is fun. Thanks Nate. And then we came home late Monday night. It was a great ski trip. Thanks Russ for inviting us out. And if all goes well I am planning on getting back out there in February when Krum is headed out there. Krum you are still going right?

3 comments:

Rickie Davies said...

Well Stegall, that is a pretty bold statement. Sounds like you would like to come along on the next trip. There is one tentatively planned for February. I will even buy your plane ticket if you make it on to the hill. Time to step up or shut up.

Anonymous said...

come on boys...we all know that Speegs can't fit a helmet over that chongo head of his which will be needed if he skis down any mountain...Buy a ticket to come out to tahoe for some snowboarding...

Anonymous said...

knuckle dragger!