Friday, December 30, 2005

The Lombardi Trophy Comes Home

You may have guess from my "Survivor League", "NCAA Pool", trips to Potowatomi (in which it has been well over a year since I have been there) and lastly my "Fantasy Football League" that I have a mild gambling problem. Well you need not worry. All is well. I realize that this is a topic that no one likes to hear about. I myself could really careless about anyone else's fantasy football team. But in this particular case I am going to boast about my team. Afterall we are League Champions and this is my blog. I would like to point out the highlights of the year. First was the draft, when in the 7th round a savvy, Ron Wolf like General Manager took a gamble on a back up running back for the Kansas City Chiefs by the name of, Larry Johnson. I fast forward to week 8 of the NFL season. The starting running back for the Chiefs, Priest Holmes, gets injured and in steps on Larry Johnson. I would like to mention that at this point in the Fantasy Football Season, my team, "Bubble Gum and Duct Tape", had limped to a 2-6 record. We were close in many games but we were just missing that one piece. With that piece in place "Bubble Gum and Duct Tape" managed to easily run the table for the remainder of the regular season and finished in 3rd place with a 7-6 record. But 3rd place wasn't all that too easy to come by. You see in the final week of the season Dave "The General" Stegall and I were going to finish with the same record, but whomever had the higher season total would take 3rd place. Going into the Monday Night Football Game that week, I had a slim 8.4 point lead with all of my players done for the week and "The General" only had his kicker left. You may recall this game, it was Seattle Seahawks 42-0 demolition of the Philadelphia Eagles. "The General" had the Seahawks kicker, Josh Brown on his team. I received a phone call from "The General" midway through the 4th quarter, at which point the score was 42-0, and Josh Brown had already earned 6 points. I told "The General" that there was no way that the Seahawks would be taking any field goals the remainder of the game, but no sooner did the words leave my mouth and Philadelphia turned the ball over in their half of the field. But Philadelphia force a fourth down, with that and to my amazement, Seattle's special teams unit came out on the snow covered field to attempt a 40 yard field goal that would harmlessly increase the score to 45-0, but would severely effect my 3rd place finish. We both held our breath as the kick sailed wide left. Then I just laughed at "The General" and then hung up on him before he could explain how he was going to take his frustration out on his cats. Personally I don't want to know, but I do know that everytime I stop by his place, his cats all limp. The playoffs were a mere formality, I set the cruise control and "Bubble Gum and Duct Tape" went on to take home the Super Bowl trophy. And what makes it even more sweet is that the Super Bowl match up was against my arch nemesis Dave "The General" Stegall. I would like to say it was a good match up and that his team put up a fight, but they didn't nor did he. I think it is about time I make up a plaque for the wall. I appreciate you reading this far. And I promise that I won't bore you with another long read about fantasy football until I win the league again.

No comments: