Friday, May 05, 2006

Ethical Dilemma

A funny thing happened to me yesterday. I got home from Platteville, as you know, it was horrible. As I walked through my yard I was amazed on how tall the grass was. That fertilizer really helps. I figured I have better cut it while I had the time. Not that I am a lawn Nazi or anything. But I do try to keep my yard looking nice. I will have to say that without bragging too much here, that I probably have the nicest yard on my block. As I was cutting my front yard, I couldn’t help but notice how bad my neighbor’s yard looked. The grass had to be close to a foot high in some places. After a quick internal debate with myself, I decided screw it, I am cutting her front yard too. I was making passes across both of our lawns and I was about half done when I looked up and noticed that my neighbor was two houses down and cutter their lawn. What the heck is going on here? You can’t cut your own lawn but you are cutting someone else’s? Now I am feeling like a real idiot for cutting her yard. A couple of passes later I made eye contact with her again and waved at her. She seemed happy and waved back. As I was finishing up my yard she had made her way back to her yard and was cutting what was left of what I had not cut. I walked up to her and apologized for cutting her yard. But she was more than happy that I did it. She explained to me that her lawn mower broke last week and that she struck up a deal with the neighbor, that she could use her mower if she mowed both yards. Great deal. In the end, it wasn’t a big deal. On a different topic, I am happy to say that I finally got my first home run of the kickball season last night. It took my 5 games but I finally did it. Now I know how Barry Bonds was feeling at the beginning of the season. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»