Thursday, May 11, 2006

Taxi Cab Stories

I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about taxi cab stories. This triggered me to recall my favorite cab stories. First let me give you some free advice. If you are like me and enjoy talking to the cab drivers, never get in a cab with Jay Kempen. Normally when I get in a cab, it is after I have been drinking. At which point I am usually in a good mood and rather chatty. So I like to talk to the cab driver. However if Jay is with you, no matter where the cab driver says he is from, Jay will talk to the cabby in Spanish about religious beliefs. Even if the cabby doesn’t speak Spanish, Jay will still continue. And if I am also talking to the cabby, like giving him important information like where we are going, Jay will continue to talk louder and louder until he is the only one that the cabby is listening to, or Jay will flat out tell me to shut up. So that is my advice, take it for what it is worth.
Alright my first cab story takes place 3 or 4 years ago in the winter time. A group of us were downtown and got a cab back to my place. And I think it was even snowing this night. I told the cabby to cut through the Pius High School across the street from my house. As we were going through the parking lot, I asked the cabby if he ever did any doughnuts in a parking lot with a fare. He said no and that he wasn’t allowed to do such a thing. At which point, I told him that there was $10 in it for him if he did. We did have a car full of people and with the combination of the money and peer pressure, the cabby was easily persuaded to do about 6 or 7 doughnuts in the empty parking lot. I think the cabby was even laughing along with us. Easily the best cab ride I have ever had.
My second cab story takes place the night before Matt Kaker’s wedding down in Arizona. After the rehearsal, we all went out for some drinks. At bar time, the group was narrowed down to just Krum, Spider and I. We took a bike rickshaw to Denny’s for a late night / early morning breakfast. Three guys in a rickshaw, I know it was a little tight. After eating, it was about 3 in the morning and there weren’t too many cabs driving by. The three of us began walking back to the hotel. But this was only a couple days after I had blown out my knee so I was a bit hobbled. It wasn’t long before I had fallen back behind Krum and Spider. And then after a while they were so far ahead of me that I couldn’t see them. I continued walking in what was the direction that I thought the hotel was in. After a while I got to the next major intersection and I realized that I had no idea where the hotel was. I was highly dejected, my knee was killing me from all the walking and I was lost, I ended up just sitting down on the curb. I finally was able to flag down a cab. I got in the cab and I told him, “Take me to 2354 West Scottsdale Road.” The cabby looked at me kind of funny, and then proceeded up the street half a block, took a right, then pulled into the first driveway. I had been sitting on the street for well over a half an hour with the hotel directly behind me. Nice work. I literally could have turned around and thrown a rock at our hotel room window. Not to sound like a total dumb ass I would like to say that there was an 8 foot high fence that surrounded the hotel and obstructed my view from the street curb. I think I gave the cabby $5 for a $1.50 fare that lasted all of 30 seconds.
And for Stegall, even though no one else will get this, "Cab 5211. Gutsiest move I ever saw."

No comments: