Friday, December 18, 2009

DMB Larger Than Life

Last night I went to see The Dave Matthews Band in the3D film, "Larger Than Life". It is playing for a limited engagement at The Ridge Marcus Cinema. In fact, it only ran for a week and tonight is the last night. It has been a long time since I have seen a 3D movie. In fact I recall it was just over 10 years ago when I was in Norway. And the 3D glasses were just like those gigantic clown sunglasses. I remember it being kind of cool, the movie had some decent depth to it. I can say this, 3D has made some major advances in the last 10 years. I thought the 3D looked great. It was basically just concert footage from a concert played down at the Austin City Limits Festival. At one point in the film, the point of view of the camera was dead center about 20 rows back from the stage and there was a puff of smoke in the crowd that when across the screen and at first I thought it was someone in the theater that was smoking. Also from that same point of view when a beach ball was getting knocked around by the crowd, it looked like it was coming right at you and I even flinched once.
As far as content of the movie. It was mostly concert footage of the Dave Matthews Band. But they also showed a couple songs by Ben Harper. And before that was a band called Gogol Bordello. Gogol Bordello was something different. At first they were something different, but then after a while, they just got to be annoying. I am going to try to find some footage of them on YouTube and post it.
Watching the movie and the incredibly believeable 3D got me to wondering, when we will come to a time where everything is filmed in 3D and we all have theaters in our homes. I don't think we are that far from that happening. I wonder how cool a football game would be in 3D, especially with that above the field camera.

No comments: