Friday, December 04, 2009

Weezer

Weezer was great.When the show was first announced, I thought about going and then decided against it. Last time they played in Milwaukee they sold out in only a day or two. So a week later when I heard there were still tickets, I told myself I have to go. And I am glad that I did. I invited all of my loyal readership to come along but no one took me up on the offer, except Mark and Suzanne. They drove down from Appleton for the show. I felt bad for them because they had to drive back on the same night, but after the show they said it was worth it.
This is a picture from the Rave's Wedsite. But that is me in the red circle. I know that because I know where I was standing and I know I was wearing a red shirt.Why was it such a great concert? I am glad you asked. First it was at the Eagles Ballroom. It seems like nearly 2 years since I have been to a show there. I think it is one of my favorite venues. Obviously Alpine is number one. But I like when you can see a fairly big name act at such a small locale. So the atmosphere was great. You may have heard the phrase "there is a certain electricity in the air". Well I felt it last night before the show started.

I wouldn't say that I am huge fan, but I like Weezer. Their only cd I have is the blue album and I bought that back in college. If you have it I suggest you pop it in and listen to it from start to finish. I think "Only in Dreams" is my favorite song. But I have heard their newer stuff on the radio.

Highlights of the show. Oh wait!!! Before I get to the concert itself. A quarter of the way through the show I was in the bathroom waiting in line. The urinals were occupied and so were the two outside stalls. I pulled on the door to the middle stall but it didn't move. I then noticed that the door was actually screwed shut. I said to the guy behind me "I guess it is out of order." He said "No it isn't!" He then dropped to his stomach and crawled under the door. I am thinking "Are kidding me? Do you have any idea how disgusting that floor is?" Even more puzzling is that I was second in line to use the next avaible of the 5 urnals and he was third. Second craziest thing I have ever seen at the Eagles Ballroom. Number one was when Stegall was in that very same bathroom, he was in the middle urinal with two guys on either side of him. He dropped his pants down to his ankles, raise his arms up and moaned while going to the bathroom.

O.K. to the show. Highlights: They did a cover of "7 Nations Army". I think that every band should have to play at least 2 cover songs with they play a show.

I noticed the for two songs the bass play and drummer switched places. I have been to quite a few concerts and I've never seen that.

In between songs, the guitarist was screwing around playing something and then that turned into "Over the Hills and Far Away" by Led Zepplin. But that turned out to just be a tease and then they went into a different song. Later in the show they started out another song by leading into it with the beginning drum solo from "Hot For Teacher" by Van Halen.

Also at another point of the show the lead singer came out by the sound board area at the back. Here is a photo.


Then on the last song, they ended with just the guitarist and drummer. Then the lead singer picked up some drumsticks and helped drum. Then the bass player, then the other guitarist. So they had 4 guys wailing away on the drumset.
So here is some video. The Sweater Song


Say It Ain't So

My Name is Jonas

Beverly Hills

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I pop in the Blue album regularly. Can't believe it's 15+ years old already.
Only in Dreams and My Name is Jonas are solid.

Ahhhhhhhh.