Monday, March 07, 2011

I Know You Are Out There, I Can Hear You Breathing

Friday I took part in an all day company workshop. Over the last 6 months my job and place in my company's organization chart has changed fairly dramatically. I am now part of the Project Controls Group. And on Friday we went with the Project Controls Group from the North half of the state. On Wednesday around noon, I learned that I needed to do a 15 minute presentation. I decided to talk about what my position is and what projects I am working on. But to fill time I wanted to open with explaining on how it is that I ended up working in this Project Controls Group. So it was my turn to present, I walked to the front of the room and had my Power Point Presentation loaded on to the laptop, and once I had everyone in the rooms attention I started out with: "This is the story about a boy. A boy who had a dream. That dream.....to one day become an Engineer." I was surprised, it actually went over pretty well.
We didn't have a remote clicker for the laptop, so I took my pen with me to the front of the room, and told my boss, who was working the laptop, that every time I click my pen to go ahead to the next slide. This also got some pretty good laughs especially when I accidentally click my pen as I was talking about one slide, and my boss went ahead to the next slide.
I also had a slide in the middle of the presentation in that said "How am I doing on time?" I was throwing every bit of filler that I could into the presentation to fill the 15 minutes. I later learned that with questions, my presentation lasted 30 minutes.
I was pleasantly surprised that the whole thing went over better than I thought, and I think it is safe to say that mine wasn't the worst presentation, and the most entertaining.
You can see me performing at the Laugh Factory next weekend, two shows. Please tip your server.

1 comment:

Bubs said...

"Place Ad Here" is also another nice filler. I'm SURE yours was the most entertaining.