Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Head Boner

Well it is deer season. And what do I do during deer season...cut deer. I am the self appointed and undisputed "Head Boner". I thought I would post a couple of pictures to help demonstrate just how much fun it is. At least that is what most of my nephews tend to say. Here is Chucker skinning out a deer.I will say this about Chucker, he can skin a deer better and faster than anyone I know. Let me amend that statement, he can skin a deer better and faster than anyone as long as he is sober and isn't talking to anyone. My other brother, Dan, was pretty good, but he would have to take second place to Chucker. And then there is a pretty big gap between those two and the next three which would be my dad, Haus and myself. But as I always say, it would be amazing to see how fast Jeff really could be if he didn't have any distractions while he was working.And here is the guy who started it all. I was trying to get all of the facts that other night but I might have some dates wrong. He first started doing this around 1968, when the rest of his hunting party all chipped in for a grinder and a saw as long as my dad would cut their deer for free. The operation became full blown around 1976. I have never known a day, at least that I can remember, where my parents parked cars in the garage. So here is my dad, 74 years old (I think) taking part in year 43 of cutting deer. And just like my nephews, he thinks this is fun. Look at that smile on his face.I have been helping out since I was 9 years old. Making this my 28th year, I did boycott one year when I was in college. And with all that experience, I still just the 3rd best, behind Haus and then my dad. My dad is still better than me, he just can work as long.
Last night we discussed the record, it happened probably 9 or 10 years ago. (I wouldn't doubt that my mom has it written down on a yellow pad somewhere.)In one day we cut 51 deer. I think it was my idea to cut the 51st deer, because Chucker had skinned 50 and I wanted to do one more than him.