Thursday, January 26, 2012

Office Humor

I am sure it isn't possible, but maybe as a blogger over the last 7 years and 1,585 posts I have covered every topic? I really have nothing to talk about. I am hoping to go roller skating this weekend. I made a post, plus I sent out invite via text to a bunch of people, and so far I only have 3 maybes. Any one interested yet?

Today I had a team workshop to attend all day. The workshop was composed of about 20 people all from my office and the topic was communication. About half of us were selected to give presentations on the topic. I actually had another presentation / quiz that I created after the last workshop. It was a construction equipment quiz. Which has nothing to do with communication, so I had to put together a separate presentation about communication. So while some people didn't have to give a presentation, I gave two. For the quiz, I had 40 pictures of construction equipment and their were multiple choice answers as to the proper name of each piece of equipment. And to raise the stakes, I made trophies. Check them out.
Think I have too much time on my hands? I made more than 1 in case there was a tie for the high score. One guy had the second highest score and wanted to know if he got a trophy. My answer, "No, you can't have a trophy. 2nd place is 1st loser." He was actually put out a little bit.

My other presentation was very basic discussing communication and meetings. As it was a Powerpoint presentation, and I have a decent amount of experience with Powerpoint, I "jazzed" it up with a bunch of animation in the presentation. When I got to the final slide which was just said "Open Discussion", the screen slowly faded to black and then as I fielded any questions, I had credits as if it was a movie, rolling on the black screen that pretty much read as follows:
Produced by:
Rickie Davies

Directed by:
Rickie Davies

Executive Producer:
Rickie Davies

Casting:
Rickie Davies

Key Grip:
Rickie Davies

Assistant to Mr. Davies: (my personal favorite)
Rickie Davies

Gaffer:
Rickie Davies

Best Boy:
Rickie Davies

I hate to pat myself on the back, but it was pretty funny. So for any of you that give Powerpoint presentations, I highly recommend using this at the end of your presentation. Just make sure it is the right audience. I also want to hear about it.

I also go to use one of my favorite lines that I use for any public speaking engagement. If I say a joke that no one gets, I wait for a bit to let the silence sink in and then just say "Crickets".

Another way to entertain an audience while giving a presentation is to have a slide half way through that says "How am I doing on time?". I have a presentation that I just put together for my supervisor to give at a conference which includes the "How am I doing on time?" slide, and I am going to try to convince her to keep it in the presentation. I doubt she will go for it.

If you need any other ideas on how to put your job in jeopardy through presentations, just let me know.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it is a good idea to put yourself down as the Key Grip and the Best Boy.

Roman

Anonymous said...

YOU STOLL MY ENDING FOR POWER POINTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ethan Davies

Rickie Davies said...

Doggie, If you and the Mrs. weren't so busy making out at the end of a movie, you would see that in the credits the positions of Key Grip and Best Boy are real titles for those that work in the movie industry.
The KEY GRIP is the head of the grip department and chief rigging technician on the set. Using light, he or she is in charge of the shadows of light, the movement of the camera, the placing of cameras on any stationary, moving, flying, or floating surface--anywhere a camera is to work. As a supervisor, the key grip directs the crew of grips, many with specialized skills such as dolly grips, crane operators, or special equipment operators.
The BEST BOY is responsible for the daily running of the lighting or grip department. Their many responsibilities include the hiring and scheduling of crew, the ordering and returning of lighting or grip equipment, workplace safety, timecards, expendables, loading production trucks, planning and implementing the lighting or rigging of locations and/or sound stages, coordinating rigging crews and additional photography units (if applicable), handling relations with the other production departments, overseeing the application of union rules (where relevant), and serving as the day-to-day representative of the department with the unit production manager and coordinator of the film, and the getting of tape.
So as you can see Doggie, both are vital roles.
"E",
First, it is "stole". Second, I have been putting these credits on my Christmas DVD for years. So, if anything you are stealing from me. In which case, you are welcome.

Anonymous said...

Yeah but my PowerPoints are beter

Ethan Davies

Rickie Davies said...

"E",
Your presentation won't be "better" if you don't spell check the final draft.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like there is another calling for you in Hollywood.

So who do you think is going to win the Super Bowl? You have done pretty good so far in the playoffs.

Roman

Anonymous said...

Uncle Rick I was born lead not to read

Ethan Davies

Anonymous said...

Ethan you stole that line from the Simpson movie


- Arnold Sworstiniger was president and said that


Nick Davies