Monday, January 16, 2012

The Packer Game

I woke up this morning telling myself that I won't get that emotionally invested in a football team again. I watched nearly every play of the 4 games this past weekend. But it was the Packer game which made me feel as if I was living and dying with each play. Here are my thoughts on the game.
Coaching:
I was OK with the early onside kick call if there had been proof that the up men on the Giants return team were retreating with the kickoff. But as the replay showed they weren't. Maybe they did on the kickoffs before that one, but I doubt it. In that case, then it was a really stupid call.
A defensive time out with 15 seconds to go and the opponent near mid field. Even if the Packers had stopped them on 3rd down and forced a punt, they might have got the ball back somewhere around their 20 with 5 or 6 seconds left in the half. What were the Packers going to do, throw a hail mary at the end of the half? That will never work....wait...what did I just say?

Charlie Peprah
Really, you don't know how to make a tackle. Are you afraid of getting hurt? Why are you delivering a blow with your forearms rather than firmly planting your shoulder right Hakeem Nicks stomach? I know, everyone wants to deliver that big blow. How about being a team player and making a textbook tackle and wrapping your arms around the opponent rather than trying to be the lead highlight on Sportscenter?

Jermichael Finley
Catch the damn ball. I know you are worried about doing your little shark fin on top of your helmet dance after you catch any ball, but catch the ball first. As far as I am concerned he can be cut.

The pass that Rodgers threw to the outside when Jennings turned to the inside, that was pretty big. And that stupid hail mary at the end of the half. The game was over right there.

I said Saturday night, it will come down to turnovers and penalties. How about this stat that they showed during the game? 6 fumbles lost all regular season. 3 lost in the game on Sunday. You can call that 1st onside kick a turnover too. And those dropped passes. 8 of them. You get paid to catch the ball. It seemed like Driver was the only guy on the field who wanted to catch the ball. I don't think the Giants won the game, the Packers lost it. I feel sick. I am going to go and lay down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree Rickie, very frustrating to have your own team not show up to play.

SL