Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Dinner Time


Now that we are beginning to reach the holiday season where families get together to celebrate each others company as well as eat drink and be merry. I would like to share with you my favorite family dinner story. This one goes way back to the early 90's, I am guessing 1992 or 1993. My older brother, Dan, was dating his wife now, girlfriend at that time, Jodi. I had meet them out at the bars a couple times. I had got to know Jodi a little bit while she knew no one else in my family. Eventually their relationship got to the point where it was time to come and meet the entire family. Obviously Jodi was a bit nervous, and probably a little intimidated since we have a good size family. Jodi didn't say much before dinner, and other than Dan, I was the only other person that she knew and her only other real ally. But that would quickly change. I forgot what my mom cooked up that night, but I believe just about everyone in the family was there so we must have had at least 10 people around the dining room table. I am pretty sure we had to put two extra leafs in the table. The seating situation was that Jodi was sitting directly across from me, with Dan and my mom on either side of her. Jodi didn't really say much of anything all of dinner. I think my dad might have asked her a question or two and she didn't give much more than a one or two word answer. We had finished dinner and there was a little small talk going on around the table. I am guessing most of it was done by my brothers talking about either cutting down a tree or killing some type of animal. Finally when there was a lull in the conversation, I decided it was time to be the little trouble maker that I am. I announced "Well Jodi, I don't need to impress my mom so why don't you take my plate into the kitchen?" At which point I picked up my plate and extended it towards Jodi. Jodi with a shocked look on her face, looked at me, then at Dan, then at my mom. She then pushed her chair back, stood up, grabbed my plate and carried it in to the kitchen. Of course since that time, Dan and Jodi got married and have two wonderful kids. Now when there is a family get together and we are all sitting together eating at the dining room table, Jodi makes me clear her plate. That is fine, I am happy to do it, because no matter what, she will never get me back as bad as I got her. On that note a belated Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: