Sunday, September 18, 2011

First Weekend Home From College

It was Laaren's (my Godwife's daughter) first weekend home from freshman year of college this past weekend. It made me think of the first weekend home my first year of school. I got home and we were waiting for people to show up before going out for a fish fry. I recall my brother, Jon, being there with his friend, Kris Darragh. We were talking outside when Kris said to me, "Let's see what you learned in college. Let's slam a beer." I walked into the garage and took two nearly ice cold, my best guess they were about 34 degrees, Miller Genuine Drafts out of the refrigerator. I walked back by Kris who was standing in the driveway. We didn't shotgun them we just pulled the tabs, cracked them open and began drinking. And beer will only come out so fast out of a can without being vented. I remember nearly sucking the beer out of the can, knowing that I had to win. I narrowly defeated Kris. The frosty beer burned my throat going down, and I developed an instant headache. Kris and I both walked over by the back of my dad's truck and sat on the tailgate. We had our hands on our knees and we were both hating life. That is when Kris slowly turned to me and said, "I don't know about you but I feel like shit." With my head pounding and my saliva glands working overtime, I said "You got that right." That was the last time I ever slammed a beer out of a can without venting it. In fact it is a rare day in which I will slam/bong any beer that is ice cold. I hope Laaren's first weekend home had a better start.

No comments: