Thursday, October 20, 2011

Kids Games

Saturday I had a full line up of games. Nick's soccer game, Jared's football game and Ethan's soccer game. Before I go into my review of the games, I would like to go on the record as not having mind reading skills. That is one of many reasons as to why I am not married. I get told often that I should come to my nephew / niece's games. However, I am not going to drive around all of the sports fields in Waukesha County trying to guess where these kids play. It just makes me look like a child stalker, which I have already been accused of in my past. But I can no longer blame the parents. I would be willing to bet that many of these schedules are now distributed via the internet, and the kids are just as capable as the parents to forward the email of their schedules to me. If you want me to show up, get me a schedule, preferably at the beginning of the season so that I can plan accordingly. Am I done with my rant? I guess so.

The first game was Nick's (Bonesaw). They won, I think it was 5-4. Bonesaw was playing sweeper most of the game. Here is the one thing that Bonesaw needs to work on. You are sweeper, the last man. If you get beat, grab the jersey of the player who just went by you. It is the easiest way to catch up to them. Do it every time you get beat until you get called for it. And if they have a breakaway sweep both of their legs from behind as long as you are outside of the penalty box. Do that every time the other team has a break away until you get a yellow card. Bonesaw, you are almost 14, it is time to start playing a little dirty. It isn't illegal unless you get caught. I don't have any pictures from Bonesaw's game because I was too cold to get my camera out. I have realized that the older you get, the less you want to deal with the cold weather. I wonder if I can transfer to our Phoenix office in the winter time?
Next was Jared's football game. The Crusher. Here are some pictures from his game, it was much warmer there. He is number 68.
As you can tell from the pictures Crusher is one of the bigger kids on the field so he should dominate. I will say that I did see him knock two kids to the ground. But two kids in 2 plays out of 50 plays is not a very good ratio. Crusher's team got crunched 37-0. So they had a number of kick returns. Not only did I not see Crusher knock any kids to the ground on the kick returns, he didn't even touch another player on any of the kick returns. Maybe this is some new rule, but I doubt it. In an effort to get the Crusher more physical I am putting up an reward. If he gets an unnecessary roughness penalty next year, I will give him $50.

The last game was Ethan's game. Their regular goalie was hurt so Ethan filled in between the pipes. I will say that he made the game interesting. The 1st half had the wind in Ethan's team's faces and the play was on their end of the field the whole half. In the 2nd half I thought the play would again be on that side of the field, but it wasn't. Ethan's opponent controlled the ball nearly the entire game, and Ethan had to make nearly as many saves in the 2nd half as he did the 1st. Advice for Ethan...well he had a lot of drops. But I am no goalie, so if he wants some real goalie instruction he will have to ask The General.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was owning it up at goaly Rick


Ethan Davies

Leslie said...

What no comment on how great the coach was for "Bonesaws" game??? Actually I am more disappointed with no pictures. Also, about your "ranting", if I send you a schedule of my activities this week, will you show up?

Rickie Davies said...

Leslie,
Do you mean the coach who left in the middle of the game? If that is the one, then yes she did a great job, when she was on the sidelines. And I would be happy to come a heckle at a game.