Saturday, December 10, 2011

Need a Little Help Here

This blog entry is for any of the handymen out there. I bought my TV and I will be hanging it on the wall. Having the TV up off the floor means I have to do something with all of the electrical components. So what can I do. Here is the wall right now.
And because behind this wall is a closet, I have decided to make a little cubby hole to hold the cable box, stereo receiver, Blue Ray, etc. You can see here that I have made some progress.This is a closer look at the hole. It is really the only place that I can put it. But as you can see I have some electrical conduit running right through the space where I intend to put this cubby hole.This is the back side view looking into the closet. Obviously that middle 2 x 4 will be coming out. But the conduit will still be in the way.My only thought on rectifying this situation was to cut some slits down the 2 x4 and then slide the conduit down as well. This is shown here in red.
This all seems well and good. I'm still not sure if that will give me enough slack in the conduit. Oh and better news, this is a load barring wall.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you fill in up to the cord. Then make the opening bigger DUH!

Ethan Davies

Rickie Davies said...

Ethan, Speak in English.

Anonymous said...

You fill in the hole until the cord on the bottom, so you can't see it. Then you make a box out of wood so your cable box will fit in it. Easy inuf Richard

Ethan Davies

Rickie Davies said...

Ethan, I appreciate your effort, but the box of wood needs to fill the void between the two shelves. I need that much room because I have a stereo receiver, cable box, Blue Ray player and video game console. So the hole can not be moved, the cord does. But don't worry your, I fixed the problem.

The solution to the problem. I want to hide all cables behind the wall. This includes electrical cables. So on the back side of the wall (the red wall in the closet), I needed an outlet. The wire that ran through the hole only went to one more outlet. I disconnected it from that outlet and pulled the wire back to the hole, then put an outlet just below the hole. I will get pictures up soon, I know everyone is waiting to see how it turned out.

Anonymous said...

That was my other idea

Ethan Davies

Unknown said...

Rickie - Found this post from a Google search. This is EXACTLY what I'm planning on doing in my living room. I would love to see updated progress pictures as well as the finished product. Great work and look forward to seeing how it all turned out.