Sunday, January 08, 2006

"I Am In Ice Cream"

I have this story occurring in the summer of 1995. But I could be wrong.

I was out on a Friday or Saturday night with The General and Preston. My older brother, Dan was also out that night and I told him that we would meet up with him. We all ended up at Sharkey's, a bar in Waukesha. This bar is well known for all of its pool tables. Dan is playing pool, and as it is par for the course, I am not good enough to be his partner, so The General, Preston and I are just drinking and watching from the bar. As is normally the case, Minnesota Fats (That being Dan) and his partner beat these two clowns that they were playing against. For the record, Dan is actually a very good pool player. Although in the past I have beaten him before. Anyhow one of the clowns that Dan beat in this game, I will call him, Bill, for the story’s sake. Bill is either rather impressed by Dan’s play, or is a bit on the fruity side and just impressed with Dan. Dan is standing and talking to us at the bar when Bill comes in and introduces himself and starts talking to Dan. Bill from what I remember didn’t seem all together when I saw him, actually I thought that he looked like he just come from watching a Whitesnake concert, and I would know because I have been to a Whitesnake concert. And as I recall the conversation which happened right in front of us went something like this:
Bill: “Hi. I am Bill. That was some nice shooting.”
Dan: “Thanks. I am Dan.”
Bill: “So what is your story?”
Dan: Taken back a bit by the question “What are you talking about?”
Bill: “I mean what do you do?”
Dan: “I am a tree trimmer, I work for Wright Tree Service.”
Bill: “That is cool.”
At this point there is a bit of an uncomfortable silence in the conversation. Me, I am as comfortable as can be watching this guy apparently hit on my brother. I am finding all of this very amusing. Finally Dan takes the bait in this lull in the conversation and replies.
Dan: “So what is your story?”
Bill: “Oh I am kicking ass.”
Oh he is kicking ass, I am thinking he is a mechanic with his own shop or maybe a banker who is just taking it easy on a weekend.
Dan: “Kicking Ass? Really? How is that?”
Bill: “I am in Ice Cream.”
Dan: “Ice Cream? Good for you.”
Dan goes back to the next game of pool. At this point is where The General, Preston and I begin the interrogation of Bill. Does he make ice cream, or deliver it? Which is a better seller, “Push-Ups” or “Ice Cream Sandwiches”? Eventually The General and Bill got into quite the little discussion as Bill was once part of our armed forces. But I will never forget the guy who was in ice cream and kicking ass.

No comments: