Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Fastest Davies on the Earth

I will get to the title in a minute. Let me start with the beginning of the weekend. Friday, I picked up Tree, who was in town for a interview. Then Tree and I went down to Summerfest. We met up with Borky and his group. And we spent most of the night by the Miller Oasis listening to O.A.R. It was really busy. Not much room at all. The highlight of the evening was a fight that broke out right by us. We saw this guy who was wearing a Chicago White Sox hat. Our friend, Todd, had noticed that he had been giving some people dirty looks and shoving a couple of people. Todd predicted that that guy would be in a fight by the end of the night. Well Todd was right. Fisticuffs broke out. It didn't involve anyone from our group but I was close enough to get some pictures. Just a little tip for anyone who might be headed down to Summerfest, if you don't like people or crowds, don't go. Tree and I actually left Summerfest before it closed. I think that is the first time that has ever happened to me. We then stopped in at the bar that Preston works at, then grabbed some pizzas at the store and headed back to Preston's place. Saturday we had a card game all lined up. Tree was back in town and a sheepshead game was scheduled to begin at 1:00. I don't think the first hand was dealt until 1:55 but that is exactly what I expected. Around 7:30 Preston and I headed down to Summerfest again. For reasons beyond my understanding, Tree, The General, and Roman all decided that it would be more fun to stay at Preston's and drink the remaining 6 beers and eat the 2 pizzas that I bought the night before, rather than going down to Summerfest. We get down to Summerfest and I lost Preston within the first 10 minutes. Maybe 5 minutes. No big deal, the main reason I went down there was to meet up with my brother, Jon, and all of his in-laws. I found them pretty quickly and spent the rest of the night with them. Apparently I started running my mouth and I made the claim that I could beat Jon in any foot race that was longer than 40 yards. That sounds like something I would do. The race was set for 2:00 Sunday afternoon. After Summerfest closed I ended up taking the shuttle back to State Fair Park. Tammy, who is renting my place out, was having people over. I stopped by there for a while. Then at around 2:30 when it looked like things were dying there, I decided to go back to Preston's. I ended up running to Preston's. It was a little further than I thought. About 2.5 miles. As I was running, I passed this guy who was walking into his house and he just said to me "You have got to be kidding me." When I walked in the door at Preston's he had people over, so I played some drinking games with them and ended up going to bed around 4 in the morning. Then next morning I realized that my truck was still down at State Fair Park. I ran 1.5 miles back to pick up my truck. Once back at Preston's, I clean myself up and then headed to Jon's place. They were hosting the Brantzeg family reunion. We marked out a 41 yard course and Jon, his brother in law, Tony, and myself lined up for the race. If any of you talk to any of the participants, they are all going to make certain claims and excuses as to why then didn't win. But I will tell you right now, officially I won the race fair and square and no one in the race nor anyone watching will contest that, despite any comments that may be posted here in the future. Once I get the video, I will also post a link to it. I was fairly confident that I would win the race. After all, I was the youngest competitor, I also don't think it is much of a stretch to say that of the three of us, I am in the best physical shape. With that being said I was highly disappointed to hear that the majority of the people in attendance did not predict me to be the winner of the race. So with my brother Jon out of the way, and knowing that my other brothers, Jeff and Dan wouldn't stand a chance against me, I make the claim that I am the fastest Davies on the Earth. I realize that I will probably only hold this title for another 4 or 5 years, until my nephews are in their mid teens, then they should be able to beat me. That is unless of course I am missing someone, but I don't think I am. In fact I think the only relation that could beat me, might be my cousin, Kim's, fiancee, Jake. But he isn't family...yet.

After the race Tony and I were able to kick the soccer ball around quite a bit. Jon has a full size goal in the back yard. Tony and I used to play club soccer together in high school. That was one of my highlights for the day. The other was that Jon put a volleyball net across his pool and we got in some quality pool volleyball. It was a lot of fun. But other than actually playing the game, I enjoyed quoting "Meet the Parents" with lines such as "I bet you would Panama Red" "Spike that Focker" If Florance Nightengale could put down a spike" and my favorite anytime we lost a point "Come On!!!". I also managed to pop one of the kids playground balls playing bongo ball. For those that don't know what bongo ball is, it is a pretty stupid game. You take a ball and kick it up in the air as high as you can. Then the ball can only bounce once before you kick back up in the air. It is great for the hamstrings.

Monday we headed up to the Wisconsin Dells. Yes I am a big bully, while on the go-kart track I spun out my 10 year old nephew, Nicholas, spun him out right into the wall, which caused him to bump his head and start crying. That is right I made a 10 year old cry. Tomorrow is the 4th, and I will be around my family once again, I am sure I can make another kid cry. And if all goes well maybe burn one with some fireworks.
Here is Tree.

This is the donnybrook that broke out Friday night, I think the guy with the White Sox hat is on the losing end of this punch.Saturday night down at Summerfest. This is Brian and Nancy, they met at Summerfest a long time ago, 16 or 17 years ago. If I am ever down at Summerfest, I make them go to "The Spot" where they first met. Here they are at "The Spot".Rob and Kim.Here I am with Tony. We used to be the same height.Jon and Julie.The entire Brantzeg family.Tony on the go karts, rubbing is racing, I didn't spin him out, but we both lost some paint.Here is the view from the last car on the rollercoaster at the bottom of the big drop.And here is the view at the end of the water slide.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the great pictures .... best of all..the family reunion group.

Anonymous said...

Uncle Rick, I did scream on the roller coaster on the parts youn said i couldn't I'm sorry

Rickie Davies said...

Don't worry about it Lauren. I wasn't screaming but I was holding on pretty tight with the one hand that wasn't holding the camera.