Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A General Story

I don't know if I have enlightened you with this story about The General. If I have, you are going to read about it again. This goes back 8 or 9 years. I was living in Milwaukee. The General was living in Texas...I think. He was back in town for his buddy, Matt's, bachelor party. The General was the best man and was throwing the party. The General invited me, but I wasn't able to show up right away for dinner at the Rock Bottom Brewery downtown. I got there just as people were finishing up their meals. It was a group of about 10 - 12 guys. And I knew most of them as they were all friends from their college days at Oshkosh. We decided we were going to hang around at the Rock Bottom for a while and have a couple drinks. Schmidty, who I have known for a while, turned to me and said "Do you have any drinking games we can play?" I thought about it for a second or two, and said "Yep, The next person who talks to The General has to buy a round of shots." Everyone but The General agreed. So the game was on. As we were at Rock Bottom and their were 10-12 of us, talking to The General would cost any party goer well over $30, and most of us were just getting out of college and didn't have much extra money. So for the remainder of the night, no one talked to The General. It was actually pretty funny after a while, because The General would come up next to someone in the bachelor party and start up a conversation like, "So this wedding should be fun, what hotel are you going to stay at?" And whomever he was talking to would absolutely ignore him turn and walk away. Here is the most perplexing thing about this story, all of these guys were much better friends with The General than me, plus The General was only in town for a couple of days so you would think they would want to talk to him. So why they agreed to that game I don't know why. But as I said, no one talked to him the entire night and no one ended up buying shots. Weird.

No comments: