Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Mr. Fitness

Over the last couple of years I have made some changes to become more healthy and get into better shape. There was a time, the summer before I moved to Minnesota that I was tipping the scale at 235lbs. Once I moved up to Minnesota, I had a surplus of time on my hands and I was living 100 yards from a health club. This led me to getting into some decent shape. But I still ate like I had the same metabolism as I did in my 20s. But I didn't. Upon moving to Appleton, I stepped up my work out regiment a bit. I started doing push ups and sit ups almost every morning. I also adjusted what I was eating. It isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle change. I watch what I eat during the week, but allow myself to eat whatever I would like on the weekends. I also look at ingredients when I go grocery shopping. If it has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it, I don't buy it. Try it some time, it is pretty hard to find food that doesn't have HFCS in it, and when you go to the check out line you can look in your cart and find only healthy food in there. Now that I am training for a 1/2 marathon, which is now a week and a half away, I am running as much as I ever have. All of these changes and adjustments have put me into pretty good physical shape. But all of that is nothing compared to my buddy, Krum.
Krum just sent me an update of the Ford Ironman Oceanside 70.3 Triathlon (half Ironman distance) (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run) he ran this past weekend. I won't post his update, since it is 3 pages long. But I will tell you that Krum finished 206 out of 1958 competitors. He averaged 20 miles per hour on the bike, however I heard it was a hilly course, and after that swim and bike Krum averaged 7:18 minute miles for 13 miles. This blows my mind. Remember I am in pretty good shape and next weekend I am going to do a 13.1 mile run. I will be no where near 7:18 minute miles. I will be lucky to come in averaging 9 minute miles. And I won't be swimming or biking before the race. Krum finished the entire race in 5 hours and 15 seconds. He said his goal was 5 hours flat. Krum is an inspiration and a machine. All of that being said, Krum is still a deadbeat and owes me $5 for my NCAA pool.
Here is Krum on the run, looking fit. I don't know about the one piece outfit though.

By the way, Tree, Heather and Preston are also deadbeats.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, the one piece spandex outfit has got to go!!!! Spandex don't look good on anyone!!

Rickie Davies said...

Good call. I would rather have a little slow time and look better.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a man crush.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rick, out of the Davies boys who would you say is in the best shape?

Rickie Davies said...

I don't think there is much debate that I am in the best shape of the Davies boys. I doubt that any of my brothers would dispute that. However, they would say it is because I am younger than all of them. However, the race for second is up for grabs.