Monday, September 15, 2008

Football and Recovery

I didn’t do anything this weekend. I barely walked outside of my condo. I watched a lot of football on TV. Here are some observations that I made

EPSN, I think it is enough with the scroll at the bottom of the screen. Does it really need to be running the entire game? I can recall when it would pop up every ten minutes or so. Now it runs continuously. If I am a die hard fan or a casual observer, I either already know that Chris Well isn’t playing, or I don’t care. Yes, I like the score updates, but I don’t need the distraction of something running across the bottom of my screen the whole game. Maybe I just have a short attention span, but I don’t like it.

The Badgers, nice work Saturday night. They had a tough game all the way across the country. And the took care of business. It wasn’t the prettiest game I have ever watched. They did get screwed pretty bad on the fumble call that was ruled an incomplete pass. It could have been a real big call. But as good teams do, the Badgers over came a bad break and still came out on top. I can only guess what time they got back home Sunday morning, I would think somewhere around 8 in the morning.

Here is my last note on college football. I really dislike Notre Dame. If they manage to win 8 games they seem to get an automatic BCS bowl game. They get so incredibly lucky as they did Saturday. I think their day is coming and I think they will struggle to reach a .500 record this year.

Sunday morning I was popping around the TV before the Packer game. I rarely watch those pre-game shows. But as I was popping around, I tuned into NFL countdown on ESPN for 30 seconds to hear the blowhards literally yelling over one another to make their points. And if they aren’t yelling, it is the ex players on the panel yucking it up with poor grammar. What a waste of time to watch those morons. I can’t tell you how much I dislike Chris Berman.

Does anyone who watches NFL football really care which person on the defensive unit has the helmet with the radio communicator on it?

On to the Packers. This past off season was tough on Packer Nation and I don’t think that Thompson or McCarthy could have dealt with the situation any better than they did. In the end it appears that they know best on how to run a football team. I never really second guessed them. Rogers, at least so far, has proved himself to be an incredibly capable quarterback. He might not be as flashy or dramatic as the player before him, yet he always seems in control. Granted the second half was a little shaky. I was however very pleased with the outcome.

Other notes in football. Hey Minnesota, I do hope you understand that touchdowns are worth more points than field goals.

Hey Ed Hochuli, nice job screwing over San Diego. Do you think that inadvertent whistle might cost San Diego come playoff time? It basically gave Denver the game. It is a big difference for San Diego between 0-2 and 1-1, especially when that loss was within the division. This is just another reason why the NFL is the best league out there. This loss in week 2 could cost San Diego their entire season.

Finally, week 2 of the season and I am already out of my own survivor league and I have spent all of the money. Nice work.

And let me touch on the Brewers real quick. They are in absolute free fall right now, grab the rip cord. Now tied for the wild card. And how about the Cubs coming into our house and pitching a no hitter. That is like you going away on vacation where it rains the entire time, and your neighbor breaks into your house throws a party with the Hawaiian Tropics bikini team then leaving pictures of the party on the table for you to see when you come back from your miserable trip. Quite the kick in the shorts.

How is my health? Not too good. I have recovered from my cold. But my knee is in some pretty bad shape. I laid around all weekend. I was icing my knee periodically throughout the weekend. But that hasn’t really helped at all. It feels fine if I am not walking on it. But once I start walking, it feels like someone is sticking a knife right into my knee from the outside. On a scale of 1-10 (ten being giving birth) it is about a 4 whenever I walk. I have a doctor’s appointment this Thursday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rough weekend Rick....looks like Thursday will give you the answer. Hope it goes well. Annie

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain buddy.

-Ned Yost