Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Weekend Recap

Yes, I suck and I have been a slacker on my blog. Bare with me. Not much going on. but if you are really curious here you go.

Friday after finishing a long day of work and an even longer work week, I headed for home. There wasn’t much to my Friday evening other than some pick up soccer at 9:00. We played much longer than I thought we would, not leaving the gym until almost 11:00. We played 5 or 6 games, but it was one game too long.

Saturday morning I repainted MKA’s old room. Then I got myself ready for a day of football. I had the Cotton Bowl from the night before on my DVR and then the NFL playoffs. I have said this before, if the bowl games in college football are such a great idea and no one has a problem with it, how come the NFL isn’t pushing for a post season that is set up the same way as the college bowl system. Wouldn’t it be great if after a long grueling regular season each team got rewarded with one extra exhibition game? How about having the second place team from the NFC Central (The Green Bay Packers) play the second place team from the NFC West (The St. Louis Rams) in San Diego? It would be much more fulfilling than having the current playoff system. The college bowl system aggravates me so much. But I honestly believe that within the next 10 years the bowl system will be done away with. How will that be possible you ask? It is all about the money. I noticed that many of the bowl games, including the Orange Bowl, were not sold out. These games will get to a point where it isn’t financially feasible. I also believe that eventually some schools will begin to decline the invitation to play in a bowl game because it will be costing these schools too much money to send the football team, school band and other university personnel to these games as well as the cost of hotels, food, etc. Another reason why a playoff system will materialize in the future has everything to do with ESPN. I believe they broadcasted every bowl game except the Cotton Bowl. I would think that eventually ESPN would be able to strong arm the powers that be with the NCAA into instituting a playoff system.

Getting back to my Saturday events, a little after 1:00 I got a text message from The General asking if I wanted to meet up with him for a late lunch. I said sure. The General didn’t make it to my place until 5:00. We headed to BW3s for some football, food and trivia (which I easily won). Apparently in The General’s world, late lunch occurs at around 6:30. In my world that is called dinner.

Sunday was all about skiing. I took my nephews to Alpine Valley. Nick took off to ski with some friends, so I skied with Ethan. I actually liked skiing with Ethan. He gets off the lift goes right to the run he wants to head down and away he goes. No talking at the top of the hill and waiting for no apparent reason like nearly everyone does. Who are my other favorite skiing partners? I would have to put Tree, Russ, Nate and Eric all right at the top of the list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any interest in taking Jared skiing? His 5th grade class is going to Sunburst on the 30th of Jan. and he really wants to give it a try. I'm not much for the sport myself. Deb

Rickie Davies said...

Sure, I would be happy to take him skiing. I think he might benefit the most if he gets out one time before he heads out on the 30th. Let me talk to Julie and see if he can go along with Nick and Ethan on their next ski club outing at Alpine.