Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Head Boner

As promised, here are deer cutting pictures. I have been helping my parents since I was in the 3rd grade. I only remember that because I cut my finger so bad that year, and I still have the scare. As shocking as this may sound, I have 27 years of experience. Back in high school I proclaimed myself the "head boner", and no one has challenged me to take that title away. I was kind of hoping to get some pictures of the deer before they were skinned, but my brother had them all done by the time I got there last night. So here is where they hang after they are skinned.Here is the cutting table. That is Chucker and my nephew, Pickle. Normally you would see my brother, Jon, on the left side of the table, but he knew I was taking a picture and walked away. Not quite the same as a picture of him annoyed but close. Tensions between the Davies boys at times can run fairly hot during deer season, and I didn't see the point in pushing any buttons. Maybe today. And at this near end of the table, that is the domain of the "Head Boner".Here is the man who is responsible for the whole thing. I have heard my mom tell the story hundreds of times, but I still probably don't have it right. Next time you see her ask her about her version of the story. So we are going back 40 some odd years ago when my parents first got married. (I know, what a great son, I have no idea how long my parents have been married. But I know it is at least 40 years because I was at the 40th anniversary party) My dad would go hunting with my uncles and some buddies, and then because my dad was a butcher he would end up cutting all of the deer. They used to do it on a card table, I would say I can't imagine that, but I did help Jota at his parents house and I know how much it sucks trying to cut a deer without the proper equipment or surroundings. The thing that triggered this whole thing in to a full deer processing operation, was that each guy in the hunting party chipped in $50, which at that time was quite a bit of money, for a saw and a grinder. But then my dad had to do their deer for free. Then my dad saw that with a little advertising, he could make some pretty good cash. We used to have a sign in the front yard, I can only imagine how many would stack up if we put that sign back up. And in the early years, my dad would even go to the local bars and put up flyers. Of course, he would also put down quite a few beers as well. So after an 8 hour day cutting deer at the super market my dad would come home to a house full of kids yelling and screaming, then walk out to the garage and start cutting deer. He would cut 10 deer and then skin 10 more deer to have ready to cut for the next day. I am sure he wasn't as efficient as we are now, so I am guessing that would take him at least 5 or 6 hours at the minimum. There is no way I could do what he used to do. 14 hours of cutting meat a day for 2 weeks straight. However, if you ask him about it he would just say, "I had to provide for my family, so I had no choice. I had to." Over the last couple of years we have scaled back the operation quite a bit. Instead of cutting 250 deer over the gun season we are back to just around 50. Last night my mom said that the record of deer that she checked in for a day was 126. 126!!! Let's do a little math. 126 deer came in on that day, I will make some assumptions and say that we worked 12 hours that day. So that is 10 deer an hour, or every 6 minutes someone was dragging a deer across the driveway to drop off. I believe that that is also the day we set the record for most deer processed in a day, 50. I think it was me, my dad, Jon and my cousin, Justin, cutting that day. At the time my dad was in his late 60's, and he cut 50 deer. When I am in my late 60's, if I make that long (I am taking the under), you won't get me anywhere near a deer cutting table. Let alone, at one to cut 50 deer.
And of course a trip to the Davies house during deer season isn't complete without a trip to the dumpster. A couple of years ago, I was there when they came to pick up the dumpster, and it was a warm day, sunny and around 50 degrees. I will be honest, it was a little ripe. This was before we put a liner in the dumpster. As they raise the dumpster onto to the truck, all the juices came running out the back and it drained all the way down the drive way and out on to the road. How would you like to drive behind a truck with dead deer carcass juices running out of it.