Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Badger Hockey

Saturday I went to the Badger Hockey game at Camp Randall. I met up with Joe and Dawn at their place, we picked up Kelly and Jota then headed to the Big Ten Pub. I knew this was going to be a big test for my no drinking resolution, and unfortunately I failed that test. I put up a good fight though. Our group which was about 20 people got split into two groups at the bar. I managed not to drink for the first hour and a half, but when I moved to the group that was at the front of the bar, my buddy, Gibby, handed me a full pitcher and asked me to hang on to it. They he grabbed me a cup and it was all over. Gibby told me "That if I wanted to keep that resolution, I should have stayed home." On to the game. Well it was cold. Those aluminium bleachers really conduct the cold temperature well. We got to our seats by the middle of the first period and I think the score was tied 1 -1. I was with Jota the entire game and we got up out of our seats a couple times over the course of the game to use the bathroom and hit the concession stand. It was the third period and we were coming back from getting some hot chocolate and instead of making everyone in our row stand up so we could get to our seats, we moved down a couple rows where there were some seats on the aisle open. At this point in the game Bucky was down 2-1. With 6 minutes to go in the game, I was just freezing, and Jota and I decided to leave. As we were walking out we went by our seats and noticed that Gibby and Ertmann were in our original seats. I hadn't talked to Ertmann all day so I decided to go and sit with them for the rest of the game rather than heading back to the bar. I am glad we stuck around. 30 seconds after we sat down by Gibby and Ertmann, Bucky scored the equalizer. Then with 2 minutes to go in the game, they scored the game winner. As you can see, the view wasn't the best, and it wasn't real easy to follow the puck. Although out of all of the games I have ever been to at Camp Randall, it was the only time I saw the entire stadium up and jumping around during "Jump Around". Normally during football games it is only the student section that is jumping, but everyone was jumping to stay warm.After the game Jota and I got dropped off at the High Noon Saloon to watch a couple reggae bands celebrate Bob Marley's birthday. Jota's wife, Shelly, who is now pregnant meet us there with one of her friends. Here are Jota and Shelly.All of the bands were good, and the place was packed. I am glad we were there early and grabbed a table up in the balcony.Natty Nation was the headliner. But we left about halfway through their set at close to 1 in the morning.

No comments: