Saturday, February 13, 2010

Surgery Update

Everything went well with my surgery. I had to be to the hospital at 5:30 in the morning. My surgery was scheduled for 7:30. I changed clothes and then they gave me some drugs to make me feel relaxed. Then I was pushed over to pre-op. I was talking with the anistegeologist (I know that is not the correct spelling) about the drugs they were giving me. As we were talking I blinked and when I opened my eyes it was 10:30 in the morning and in post-op. Drugs are an incredible thing. I got wheeled to my room and then slept off and on the remainder of the afternoon. At 4:00 they came into my room to do an ultrasound on my bladder and it was full. I was having a problem going to the bathroom. They came into give me a catheter, but I asked them one more time if I could try again. Well I still couldn't go so I got the catheter. That was about as much fun as getting punched in the face. I slept off an on the remainder of the night. At around mid night I had to again go to the bathroom really bad, but I would got to the toilet and I just couldn't go. It is a weird feeling when you tell your body to do something, but your body won't do it. I spent all of the morning hours in a vicious cycle of drinking water, reading a chapter out of my book and then trying to go to the bathroom. This went on for about 20 chapters and 4.5 hours. I finally went at 5 in the morning. Wow, what a relief. I was definitely more sore on Friday than on Thursday. And by Friday I was off all of the "cool" drugs. I was released from the hospital at 2:30 Friday afternoon.

My doctor came to check up on me both Thursday evening and Friday morning. And when I saw him walk through the door, I started clapping for him and said "Here comes the man!!" The first time he just smiled. But on Friday, he smiled and then asked me why I was clapping and said no patient had ever done that for him. In a way he sort of saved my life, or a better way of saying it, was that he gave my "active" life back to me.

Before I left I did something that is a bit out of the ordinary and according to one person (Tree) was bit "creepy". I left a note at the nurse's station for my night time nurse, Michelle. She was very nice and I asked her out on a date in the note. It should be interesting to see if she gives me a call. I am now back home and will remain at home for at least another week. But if I get my short term disability insurance from work, I plan on being home for the rest of the month.

I real quick would like to thank all of my family and friends who offer to be there for me if I needed / need anything. It is a very comforting feeling knowing that I have so many people who are willing to help me out. Thank you.

6 comments:

Bubs said...

It's only creepy if you wrote the note in blood like sideshow bob. Die Bart, Die is German for "The Bart, The"

-nobody who speaks German can be an evil man.

Amanda Clausen :) said...

Glade to hear that your surgery went well...I know quite a few people that have had near the same procedure with positive results!

As for the note to the nurse...love it! Even if she isn't interested; you surely made her day - which is what life is all about right...making people feel good:) Happy Valentines Day!

Unknown said...

glad to hear that your surgery went well and that you are doing well. patrick and i are thinking of you and sending you healing thoughts.

Bubs said...

My old lady said that if you wrote the note to the nurse that put your cath in, then it is creepy. If not, then it's not at all.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear all went well. Please feel free to call on us as we're retired and have no life, according to our kids. Annie

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you're doing well buddy.

-borky