Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Trampled by Turtles

Saturday afternoon, I wanted to make some adjustments to my trebuchet. So I put it together in my backyard. It is quite the sight. At rest it is taller than my house. I had two groups of friends coming over to the house that afternoon. From college my roommates, Kevin, Mark and Suzanne. And then also Chris, Rebecca, Al and Vanessa. Kevin, Mark and Suzanne were all going to Bob's House Warming Party in Whitefish Bay. My plan was to go to the Trampled By Turtles concert at Turner Hall with Chris and then head to Bob's Party. Rebecca, Al and Vanessa were just going out for dinner. But we ended up drinking too much and decided against driving to Whitefish Bay. So we cabbed it to the bar Rebecca, Al and Vanessa were at. Anyhow back to my backyard, when people showed up at my house, I was in the backyard messing around with the trebuchet. All of the guys would say "That is awesome." The girls all seemed to want to know what it was, and seemed afraid that they might get hurt if they got too close. I know you are all dying to hear how the trebuchet worked. Here is my quick analysis:
It is now very stable.
The trigger mechanism works flawlessly.
The counterweight swings freely without a problems. In fact I had 3 - 5 gallon buckets of water in the counterweight and not much water was even spilled through at least 10 - 15 test launches.
The arm does not exactly stand plum, but I have a plan for that.
The one problem is the sling that holds the projectile. There were a lot of problems with it's release. But fortunately we will have plenty of time on the island to work on that.

As mentioned I went to see Trampled by Turtles with Chris. I guess the best way to describe their music is Thrash Grass. Or really uptempo bluegrass music. Only five instruments in the band, a mandolin, a fiddle, banjo, guitar and bass. No drums. It was a good show. Not too crowded. It was my first time at Turner Hall. I have always wanted to see a show there. It is an old building. I think it was built in 1883. And it could use some repairs and a paint job. But I am sure in it's day it was something special to see.

No comments: