Monday, February 21, 2011

The Fighter

Friday night I went to see The Fighter. I hadn't heard much about the film other than Christian Bale gives a great performance. My friend, Liz, met me at the theater to see the movie. Right after we sat down she asked me "Is this movie a true story?" I said that I didn't know. After all of the previews and as the movie started the screen goes dark, and then in big white letters across the screen it reads "THIS FILM BASED ON A TRUE STORY". At which point Liz turns to me and whispers "Hey this is a true story." I replied to her loud enough for the entire theater to hear "Yes, I know, I can read." What am I sitting there with my eyes closed?
On to the film. It is the story of a promising boxer, Mickey Ward (played be Marky Mark), who idolizes his older half-brother, Dicky Eklund (played by Christian Bale) who is a former boxer. Mickey has reached a crossroads in his career where time is running out and he will either flourish into an elite boxer or fade into obscurity. Mickey has always had his brother, Dicky, around to be in his corner and train him. But Dicky has one fault, he is addicted to crack cocaine. Dicky's journey into the dark world of drugs eventually catches up with him and he ends up in prison. With Dicky gone, Mickey forges ahead with incredible results winning his next couple fights and eventually a shot at the championship. As training starts for the shot at the title, Dicky is released from prison and once again looks to train his brother. As you watch the film you want to scream at the screen and tell Mickey not to take Dicky back.
I have never met a person addicted to crack. But Christian Bale nailed the performance. I never thought of Christian Bale as all that great of an actor, but this performance changed my mind. I recommend watching what I consider something of a dry performance by Bale in Dark Night. Then go and see this movie. It is hard to believe it is the same person. Marky Mark is good in this movie, the problem I had with is that he is the same character that he played in "Invincible", "Planet of the Apes" and "A Perfect Storm".
Still this is a very good movie. I give it a 7 out of 10.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should check out American Psycho if you get time. It's an older movie with another great Bale performance.