Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Roads.......Ro Adds

I was at a Utility Conference this week. I can’t say that it was the most exciting morning of my life but I managed to make it through without falling asleep. Other than the presentation that I helped to put together, the next most “exciting” presentation was about the “mega” projects on the horizon for the Department of Transportation. I consider myself as something of a conduit to my readers for all things transportation. Currently the Mitchell Interchange is being reconstructed. The work is part of the $1.9 billion reconstruction and expansion of I-94 from Howard Ave. to the state line, the largest road project in state history. And if you have been tuned into our new governor, once the Mitchell Interchange is complete, the next order of business will be the Zoo Interchange. But back to the Mitchell, I have been through there a number of times and when it is done, it should be quite the engineering marvel. One unique aspect of the project will be the construction of two tunnels. Other than the Kilbourne Ave Exit Ramp, I think it is they will be the only tunnels on the Wisconsin Interstate System. Here is a link to the Mitchell Interchange Website. It is worth checking out to at least see the 3D animation of what the interchange will look like when it is completed.

No comments: