Monday, February 07, 2011

Super Bowl

Worst commercial of the Stella Artois, night was the night club scene with the guy from King Kong singing.

I recorded the game because I knew I wouldn’t be able to give my full attention to the game live. I may keep the game on my DVR for a while so that if I have a slow weekend this spring I can always queue up the game. Or when Borky comes to town, so he can get an opportunity to see what a championship football team looks like.

Here is a little bit of advice to all of you for future Super Bowl games. Do not try to attend two different parties during the game. I switched parties at halftime. All I seemed to get was a guilt trip for leaving one party, and also for showing up late to the other one.

How about getting to some of the game analysis? Can you say enough about Aaron Rodgers and the game he played? Although while watching the game, it didn’t seem like he threw for 300 yards. Then again if not for the drops, he would have easily had 400 yards passing and 4 touchdowns. I think the Steelers are lucky because without those drops, this would have been the Atlanta game all over again.

After the Bush interception with 4 minutes left in the first half. I thought the Packers scored too quickly. I would have rather watched them run the clock out and only get a field goal, than score a touchdown and give the Steelers the ball back before the end of the half. As it was, the later happened and the Steelers got a touchdown and some momentum.

If there is any question that Aaron Rodgers is one of the top quarterbacks in the league, look no further than the first touchdown pass to Greg Jennings. It was a rocket on a rope, just past the out stretched hands of the defensive back by mere inches. I guess that is why they call it a game of inches. Need further evidence of Rodgers pedigree? Then take another look at the throw of equal caliber on 3rd down over the middle to Jennings during their 4th quarter drive for a field goal.

The James Jones drop early in the 3rd quarter was a no doubt touchdown. That was just the start to what was a tough quarter of football to watch.

Didn’t it seem like Mendenhall was bouncing every run he had to the outside for a 1st down?

Tramon Williams, and for that matter all players, why do you have to prove how tough you are on the field by doing something so dumb as throwing a punch at another play who is wearing a helmet. You do realize that he is wearing a helmet and a punch will not hurt right?

Here is a play that will go over looked but one that I find to be important. With about 40 seconds left in that awful 3rd quarter on 2nd down, Rodgers was flushed from the pocket and had a running back out in the flat on the left side with a defender in relative close proximity. Rather than trying to thread the ball into the running back for no gain or the possibility of the pass getting picked off for a Jack Squirekesque pick six, Rodgers tossed the ball 10 feet over the running backs head and out of bounds. I wonder if another quarterback would have done the same thing.

Discounting the numerous drops, the play of the game was the fumble forced by Pickett and Matthews.

I thought the special teams were adequate. They didn’t win the game for the Packers, but they also didn’t lose the game for them.

I think Nick Barnett has been Wally Pipped by Desmond Bishop.

Did anyone else seem to think that Troy Aikman and Joe Buck were pulling for the Steelers?

Does anyone recall my prediction for the game? Someone said the Packers would win 31-21. I checked with my sources and the Packers actually won by a score of 31-25. I think I also called a couple forced turnovers by the Packers as well as Rodgers going off for 300 yards, 3 touchdowns and no interceptions.

Now that the game is over, let us look forward to next year and a possible repeat. And why not, they played most of the season without their number 1 running back, Ryan Grant, and their number 1 tight end, Jermichael Finley. But neither are the most important person to have back for next year. I think they Packers need to keep Dom Capers from getting scalped to coach for another team. He has been a head coach in the past, let’s hope that he is now content to be a coordinator with the Packers for the next 4 or 5 years.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rickie

I was glad you stopped by Stu's. You talked me off the edge after the last field goal.

Roman

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy who won? I was in Mexico for 9 days.

-borky

Anonymous said...

Rick they managed to win despite my party. Is the jinx finally over? Nice prediction! Go Pack! Dano

Rickie Davies said...

Doggie, I was equally as nervous, right up until you mentioned that the Packers kickoff went through the 2 minute warning. No way the Steelers were going 82 yards in 1:59 with one time out.

Borky, The Packers won! You would have loved the 3rd quarter.

Dano, I will have to say that the jinx is over. If your in-laws can't keep the Packers from winning then no one can.