Monday, May 02, 2011

A College Poem

This is a poem I wrote back when I was in college, shortly after I moved into the attic on Murray Street.

I live in a drafty lonely dark attic,
It is so close to the lake you can smell the haddock.
But this place is fine with me,
I can be alone and everyone else leaves me be.

It used to have a wooden floor and colored pink,
I fixed it up and added many comforts, everything but a sink.
Now the walls have yellow stripes and painted green,
It would be a pretty nice place if I could just keep it clean.

The closet is big and holds all of my clothes,
It also contains my dirty laundry so if you enter, hold your nose.
The doors and windows are trimmed in black,
I had to 3M the windows because of a big crack.

Carpeting wall to wall as blue as the sky,
And the deer head on the wall has a glass eye.
The chair was a deal and I picked it up for 15 bucks,
I have some good CDs but my stereo sucks.

My bed has a mattress pad and keeps me warm through the night,
The refrigerator hums but keeps cold my Sunny Delight.
Yes this is my place of rest where everything is mine,
Yet will of the these comforts, I am not alone and I'll be fine.

No comments: