Saturday, April 30, 2011

Easter Weekend Review

It was a good Easter weekend for me. Friday night I left straight from work to Madison. I was giving Jay a hand in remodeling the upstairs apartment at his new place. When I got there, Jay and his brother, Tim, were painting the kitchen. I helped them finish up the first coat and then the three of us went out for a fish fry for a couple hours. We got back and applied the second coat of paint, and were done by 11:00, and while I contemplated a drive to Sun Prairie to toilet paper The General’s house. But I was just too tired. Saturday morning, Jay and I put down new flooring in the kitchen and then spent the afternoon doing some trim work. I left Madison around 5 and headed back to Milwaukee. Saturday night I went down to the Pabst Theater to see Chris Cornell in concert. Chris Cornell who has been a member of the following bands: Temple of the Dog, Audioslave, and most notably Soundgarden. The concert was just OK. A lot of that may have to do with the fact that it was a General Admission show, and I showed up late and didn’t get a very good seat. In fact I was up in the third level. The doors opened at 8:00 p.m., and the opener didn’t come on stage until 9:20 p.m. I got in around 8:45 p.m. William Elliot Whitmore was the opening act. I had never heard of him, but he was decent. He came out on stage with just a guitar and a bass drum. He did perform a great cover of “Ain’t No Sunshine”. Chris Cornell didn’t come on stage until a little after 10:00 p.m. And he played until 12:30.
Here was the setlist
Scar on the Sky

Ground Zero

Can’t Change Me

As Hope and Promise Fade

Call Me a Dog

Sunshower

Fell on Black Days

Blow up the Outside World

I am the Highway

Billie Jean (Michael Jackson cover)

When I’m Down
Seasons

All Night Thing

Man of Golden Words / Comfortably Numb (Mother Love Bone cover / Pink Floyd cover)

Say Hello to Heaven

Thank You (Led Zeppelin cover)

Mind Riot

Like Suicide

Like a Stone

Doesn’t Remind Me

Ticket to Ride (Beatles cover)
– Encore–
Scream

Hunger Strike

Black Hole Sun

Cleaning My Gun

Imagine (John Lennon cover)
Moving on to Easter Sunday, I headed out to my parent’s house and the whole family got together. I started the day off playing capture the flag with my nieces and nephews. I wasn’t too surprised by the cheating. I mean, I cheat every chance I get. But the fact that one of the kids lied to me about their cheating after they were caught. I mean I am fine with them lying to their parents, but not me, I mean I am the cool uncle. Who lies to their cool uncle? We then moved to playing football where I had a little more control over the game as all-time quarterback. It was a lot of fun, especially since the kids are getting older and some of them I can throw the ball to with some heat on it. Well at least as much heat as I can generate with my deteriorating body. We also got a second football game in after dinner. Although it never fails, we were playing 4 on 4 most of the time and every kid is wide open (according to them) and on every play they all run into the end zone. Usually when they come back to the huddle and say they were open, they get a laser coming in hot on the very next play. The other thing that they do is run down the field, look back at me, and just as I am about to throw the ball they turn their head and look to see where they are running. But like I said, it was still a lot of fun. Next game is Mother’s Day weekend. I think kickball might be in order this time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought you said I was the M.V.P on your team in capture the flag



Ethan Davies