Friday, July 29, 2011

More U2 at Gopher Stadium

K.O. and I had field seats. Here is the massive stage as you Walk On (Get it the song?) to the field.About half way through the concert I had to use the bathroom and I can't believe what I saw. These two girls sitting down and reading books. Let me know the next time that happens when U2 plays Camp Randall. I seriously thought hell had froze over when I saw this.How about the setlist? Here is it:
Even Better Than the Real Thing
The Fly
Mysterious Ways - Rain
Until the End of the World - Anthem
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
I Still Haven't Found
Stand By Me
Stuck in a Moment
Beautiful Day - Space Oddity
Can't Stand the Rain - Elevation
Pride
Miss Sarajevo
Zooropa
City of Blinding Lights - Singing in the Rain
Vertigo
Miss You-I'll Go Crazy (remix)-Raindrops Keep Falling-Discotheque-Life During Wartime-Psycho Killer
Please - Sunday Bloody Sunday
Scarlet
Walk On

Encore: One - Purple Rain
Hallelujah - Purple Rain - Where the Streets Have No Name - Singing in the Rain
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
With or Without You
Moment of Surrender - Singing in the Rain

It was pretty hot out that day/night. And early on into the show it started raining. I had no problem with that. It felt great as hot as it was. At times it got to be a pretty serious rain storm. There was a little bit of thunder and lightening. I remember telling people how cool it would be if Bono got struck by lightening. They looked at my like I was crazy. But it would be like being Abraham Zapruder. I was asked after the show how I would rate this concert. I have seen U2 7 or 8 times and I can't rank it any higher than 4th. My top 2 were the 2 shows at the Bradley Center where I had floor seats and was really close to the stage. And then the Camp Randall show from the Zooropa tour with the Big Lemon. I thought the last song was a poor choice. I had heard that at past shows they played "One Tree Hill", I would have also liked to have seen "Red Hill Mining Town" or "Running to Stand Still" . I also felt a little cheated that I didn't get the "Yeah we will shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter" coda. Here I am with my friend, Nichole, who I met at the show.
I didn't get too many decent pictures of the band on stage. I would guess we were 20 to 25 yards from the stage.Here is K.O. after the show as we were waiting for Flo to come and pick us up after the show.
Kind of a funny side note to the whole weekend. The vast majority of my Minnesota friends I met through Krum. And in reading the last couple of posts, you know that I had a busy weekend. I knew I was staying with Borky one night and K.O. and Troup the next, so I wasn't really going to have time to meet up with Krum. We did exchange some text messages before the show but never met up. As K.O. and I are walking out of the stadium with 58,000 other people who do I run into....Krum. The first thing he says to me in a joking manner "Hey buddy, thanks for letting me know that you were coming to town. I had to find out from Troup last night." Sorry Krum, next time I will work some time in for you. I will be back in the Twin Cities for the Badger - Gopher game. This is some video of "Pride".
Of all of the concerts I have been to, this was the most rain I have ever had to endure. Rage Against the Machine at Alpine Valley had quite a bit of rain, but I had covered seats, check that, I had lawn seats but made my way into the reserve / covered seats. And here is some more so you can appreciate how hard it was raining.

2 comments:

Bubs said...

Great setlist!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update buddy!!

Roman