Friday, June 23, 2006

Global Warming

I was working out last night, and as I jumped on the stationary bike, I picked up a nearby “Time” magazine. The cover story was about Global Warming. Do you have any opinion on Global Warming? Is it for real? I think it is. The article went on to discuss that we as the world are on an environmental slippery slope. The Polar Ice Caps are disappearing at an alarming rate. There are speculations that as the ice caps in Greenland disappear and melt into the ocean, the ocean level will continue to rise. That makes sense. Calculations indicate that once Greenland’s ice caps are totally gone, the ocean could rise in level as much as 23 feet. If the ocean level were to rise that much, it would result in a vast majority of Florida would be under water. I don’t have the numbers, but from what I recall, the parts per million of Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere is continuing to increase. More Carbon Dioxide in the air means that more heat from the sun that gets trapped within our atmosphere. I.E. Global Warming. If you want to get depressed about Carbon Dioxide, go to a freeway overpass during morning or evening rush hour and just look at all of the cars. Imagine all of the exhaust going up into our atmosphere. Not good. 19 of the hottest 20 years on record have happened since 1980. I absolutely believe in Global Warming. I can recall when I was a kid, we would get several feet of snow, now there is never more than a foot of snow on the ground. My prediction, based on what I have just read, 20 years from now, temperatures in Wisconsin during the winter won’t get much below freezing at all. And Arizona will be hitting 150 in the summer. The earth is a living thing, and right now it has a fever, the virus is the human race. The earth will heal itself, but possibly at the expense of the human race. Be afraid, be very afraid. I don’t want to end this on a down note, so to cheer us all up, the good thing about Global Warming is that in the coming winters, the chances of my shower pipes freezing become more remote.

No comments: