Friday, June 30, 2006

Pearl Jam and Petty Take #1

Last night was Pearl Jam and Tom Petty the opening night of Summerfest. I went to the show with my friend, Liz. Things didn’t start off all that great. As I have been doing for years, when Liz met me at my place we walked down to State Fair Park to catch the shuttle. As long as I have been living in my house, I have known the Summerfest Shuttle to pick people up at the northeast corner of the Sate Fair Grounds. This always works out great because this is only a couple blocks from my house. Liz and I walked down to that bus stop and no one was there. I thought this is weird. Then I read the sign on the stop saying that they discontinued service from this location. What? They moved it to the corner of 84th Street and Greenfield. Liz and I had to walk back to my place and then drive over to Greenfield. We finally got down to the Summerfest Grounds and then picking up the concert tickets and getting into the Summerfest Grounds was a major hassle. But we managed. We got up to the concession stands and jumped in line for a beer. By this time it was a little after 8:00 pm. While we were in line for beer, I ran into my friend, Trisha Kuenzli. While waiting in line, Pearl Jam hit the stage. Liz and I grabbed a quick beer and then got to our Seats. Pearl Jam was great. Half way through their set, I had to go and grab another beer. On the way back I stopped over by my friend, Suzanne’s seats. She was there with her sister. I stayed by them for a couple songs and then made my way back over by Liz in our seats. When I got back by Liz, I quickly noticed that Liz had found 2 new friends. They were two very nice looking 25 year old girls from Chicago. At this point, I would like to say that I find it incredibly hard to believe that I have ever kissed a girl. It is amazing how often I screw up a sure thing. From the beginning Liz was working some pretty serious interference. She was cramping my style on hitting on these girls. Pearl Jam ended up finishing their set. Check out the set list below. During the intermission Liz and I headed out to get a beer and go to the bathroom. While I was at the bathroom, I ran into Suzanne and her sister again and they came back with me to my seats. So as I was waiting for Tom Petty to take the stage I was there with 5 girls, Liz, Suzanne, her sister and these 2 Chicago girls. I am looking like a man high in demand. As Petty hits the stage, I slide in next to one of the Chicago girls. According to Liz, this Chicago girl is digging me. That is of course according to Liz. Half way through the set, I ran out of beer and headed back out to the concession stand. Beers down there were $5 a piece, limit 4 per person. So I came back with 4 beers. When I got back, Liz was gone not to be seen again on this night, and none of the other 4 girls were drinking any more. I.E. I have to drink 4 beers. Not that that should be a problem. I guy in the row behind me noticed my dilemma and was more than happy to take one of the beers off of my hands. Next thing I know the Tom Petty is walking off the stage and the Chicago girls are gone. How did that happen? Then Suzanne and her sister bolted. I ended up watching the encore solo. Once the concert was over, I was dead set on going to Heaven City for some food. I always go there for some great food. But their stand is usually at the north end of the Summerfest grounds. I walked all the way down there to #1 find out that they don’t have a stand any more, and #2 there isn’t a food stand anywhere that is still open. Bummer. Dejected as I was, I headed for the shuttle bus. Upon arrival to State Fair, I trekked the 8 or 9 blocks back to my place. That was a brutal walk for the end of the night. So it was my typical concert, a good show, struck out with the ladies and came home by myself.


Here is the set list:
Wasted Reprise
Life Wasted
World Wide Suicide
Severed Hand
Corduroy
Animal
In Hiding
Even Flow
Gone
Better Man
Do the Evolution
Why Go
Jeremy
Inside Job
Comatose
Rearview Mirror

Encore
Crazy Mary
Leash
Porch

No comments: