Thursday, June 29, 2006

Summerfest 1995 Again

7-11-95

Here is another recap of the Summerfest. I again wrote this back in my college days. Thursday Paul Krumrich came down with a friend from Minnesota, Mark, and we went down to Summerfest and saw the Guess Who. Again drinking like a fish. Friday night the three of us went out down to Summerfest again along with another guy, Nate. We drank at my house for a while and then we tried to catch one of the fore mentioned shuttles and missed it by ten minutes. We leave the bar and these two girls pull up in this little Nissan something or another. We ask if they are going to Summerfest, they say yes and the four of us pack into the back seat. They also had a free parking spot lined up. Then we get out of the car and they offer us a couple of beers, so we drink with them for a while. One girl tells me that she has a hand stamp and I spit on my hand and it rubbed off on me and I got in to the grounds for free. Due to our superficial state in of my college years, we promptly ditched these girls the moment we go on to the Summerfest grounds. That night we saw Fleetwood Mac at the Miller Oasis, it was packed. I started talking to a girl who was on one of the picnic tables. Slowly as the concert wore on, I worked my way on to the table. And then I managed to get Paul, Mark and Nate also up on this table. Then as is always par for the course for Nate, he fell off the picnic table. That night the four of us guys are walking out and me all made a bet that the first person to kiss a girl wins a buck from the other three, I lost by 3 seconds. The following day was Saturday, we woke up and headed down to see the Grateful Dead, I had tickets to both Sat. and Sun. There were the four guys from the night before and then another guy, Doug. Nate and Doug had tickets for only Sunday night and Paul and Mark didn't have any tickets. Saturday night we went down to the parking lot and I sold my ticket to the first person I saw for fifty dollars. I later found out that I could have sold it for 100 dollars. Bummer. We went to Mark's girlfriend’s house in Chicago and hung out till about 10:00 pm and that is when we decided that we were going to the bars. I was really tired and would have been happy with just sleeping, but since I am rarely in Chicago I had to give it the old college try. The year before I was down in Chicago and spent a ton of money at the bars, and I decided that this wasn’t going to happen again, so I came up with the bright idea to drink a beer every ten minutes. An hour and ten minutes later I was ready to go for the night. We hit the Chicago bars without much incident and got in at around 2:30. We got up at 8:00 a.m. to get a good parking stop in the parking lot. I recovered the rest of the day. At 2:00 p.m. we went down to the beach and went for a swim in Lake Michigan, the only “shower of the weekend”. I recall the water was really cold. We were back at the Dead at around 4:00. We just sat around in the parking lot with the other 30,000 people walking around in the parking lot. At 5:30 p.m. I started drinking again. We decided to go in at around 7:00. We one thing lead to another and I was doing beer bongs on top of our truck. I went in to the show and I had bought these tickets from Ben Miller so I was sitting next to him. Our seats were great. On the floor sitting off to one side on the 40 yards line while the stage was on the other 10 yard line. It was a great concert.

No comments: