Thursday, March 22, 2007

Graveyard Shift

A lot of you out there think that I don't work very hard or very much. And maybe you are right. But thing have changed this week. My project is coming to a close. A good portion of the repair work on the bridge that I am working on is complete and we are in the testing phase of the project. Testing that can only be done at night. I need to be on site and oversee all testing. So my new hours are working from 9:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m., the graveyard shift. It is a little tough switching around my sleep schedule But I am starting to get used to it. Although it should be interesting to see how I stick with this new sleeping schedule over the weekend. Anyone want to get together Sunday at 3:00 in the morning to watch a movie?


This testing does put a bit of stress on me. Last night we raised the bridge to fully open for the first time since September. It went OK. The only thing is that we aren't the most experienced at running the bridge and it is a bit difficult to get both of the leafs of the bridge to mate. At times there is a lot of loud banging and crashing of the two leafs into each other. Two nights ago I thought we had broke the bridge and I could literally feel my stomach drop about 3 inches watching. It was the most scared I had been in a long time. But we haven't broke anything real bad yet. My days here in Minnesota are number, I would guess I should be out of here in about a month. If anyone would like to help move, I am looking for helpers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's all ball bearings nowadays. I would prepare the bridge with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. Also, I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

-Bubs

Rickie Davies said...

Bubs, You are really starting to impress me and moving to the top of my favorite blog readers. First you stick up for me after I was accused of being responcible for drunk driving deaths, now you are quoting Fletch. Plus you always sign your comments. Keep up the good work buddy.

Anonymous said...

thanks buddy

-bubs