Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Update

I would like to have something interesting for you, but this week has been pretty boring. I am again working the graveyard shift as we continue to test my bridge. Testing occurs from 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. We have been making some pretty big progress.

To give you some background on my bridge here are the technical aspects. “The bridge is a rolling-style bascule structure. Curved segmental casting attached to the bottom flanges of the heel portions of the bascule girders roll on mating track castings embedded in the concrete of the bascule piers. The movement of the bascule superstructure consists of both rotation and horizontal translation. Mounted on and moving with each leaf is the operating machinery. Hydraulic power units provide power to low speed high torque hydraulic motors. These motors are attached to the input shaft of an open gear reduction train. An output shaft of that gear train passed through each of the bascule girders. Drive pinions attached to the ends of these output shafts engage stationary racks attached to frames mounted on the bascule piers. As the rotating pinions drive along the fixed racks, they horizontally push the bascule girders, causing the bridge to roll open and close.”
Yes I know that sounds like some boring stuff. But it is no more boring than listening to Nate talk about season ticket holders, or my brothers talk about cutting down a 100 foot tall Box Elder. In the past this bridge was controlled by paddles which would adjust the speed of each leaf and the direction, opening or closing. A skilled and trained operator was required to perform these bridge openings and moving to large pieces of steel and concrete that are 66 feet wide by 103 feet long that fit together in a tongue and groove fashion. But now we have a computer controlling the speeds and directions of the two leafs as they come apart to open and come together to close. It is literally a push of one button to open, one button to stop, and then another button to close. I am continually impressed with the speed at which this bridge moves. If goes from the closed position to fully open or 0 degrees to 70 degrees (which seems like nearly vertical when you are standing next to it) in 45 seconds. When we do some openings in the day I will make sure I shoot some video and post it.

So with my work schedule my days are pretty much screwed up. I work until 5 in the morning. I get home and sleep until around 3 in the afternoon. I normally field at least 3 or 4 phone calls both business and personal while I am trying to sleep during the day. I do a little bit of office work from my home. Then I get to the health club for an hour or two. After working out I am usually just headed back to the project. As I said nothing too exciting going on this week.

Today is Wednesday and by the time I get back home Thursday morning I will have had 2 hours of sleep in the last 36 hours. But that is why I get the big bucks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick,

It has been a long time since I have read your blog.

So do you like you job or not. You said in this article "seems like boring stuff". Is this job better than the state job?

Also, post a story for your readers, like when Justus ran out of gas, when Preston had to pick us up at Summerfest or karyoke at the Chancery after volleyball. How about the Wrestle Mania at Whitewater.


Can we give "shout outs" on your blog?

I wanna' give a shout out to my cousin Ray Ray in cell block C.

Shout out to my homey Preston in Tosa.

And last but not least, a top salute to the General livin' out on the west side.

Regards,
Tree

Anonymous said...

I want to give a shout out to my brotha from anotha mutha Tree kickin it East Coast style. You bring up some VERY memorable stories. Holla Atcha Boy!

-Bubs