Thursday, February 14, 2008

13 Days

I thought I would give you an update on how my project is going. I am much more busy now than I was earlier in the project. Steel is getting put into place and it is starting to look like a bridge. I am still a bit concerned that they will not have it completed by the set completion date of May 2nd. But then again that is not my problem. Yesterday I had to actually do some real engineering. There is a centering device, which oddly enough is at the center of the bridge between the two leafs. This device is there to make sure that the two leafs mate correctly. Below you can see the center device in place.Now the placement of this centering device actually required me to do some engineering, or at least come calculations. According to the plans, the gap between the devices is to be .160 of an inch when the steel is at a temperature of 70 degrees. Because steel expands and contracts with the change in weather, I had to calculate what that gap should be on a day like yesterday. Below you can see my work. And you people say I don't work. By the way, that gap needs to be 5/16".I took this picture yesterday. I thought I would post it for you. Here you can see them swinging in a stringer. My ironworker foreman calls this "show steel", because it looks like work is getting done. But there is a lot of work required before you can put in the show steel. The public that complains when they walk by and assume nothing it being done because they don't see steel being put in place, do not realize this.I am not sure if all of this is more or less exciting than me bragging about going to Mexico or not. But I want to leave you with one more little project nugget. Here is a link that you can click on. This is a 3 dimensional rendering of my bridge. It allows you to rotate around the bridge and even cut cross sections. This has actually been a pretty useful tool in identifying part names and locations. Just so you know, I did not design or draw up this rendering. Based on this rendering, does anyone want to take a guess which part they are swinging into place?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You already told us; it's the "show steel". I pay attention to your every word...

Rickie Davies said...

My bad. At least it is nice to know that someone is reading the endless drivel that I pour out. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Did I also already tell you that I am going to Mexico?