Monday, July 07, 2008

July 4th

The 4th started pretty early for me. I met up with Tree around 7 in the morning and we headed out to my aunt's house to get in a practice session for our Paddle Portage July 19th. We paddled out and around one of the islands on the lake, then ran a quarter of a mile down the road and back. We did that twice. It was quite the scene, two tall idiots running down the road with a canoe over their shoulders making jokes and yelling at each other. While we were running, we ran into this couple who was out for a walk. We yelled to them “Hey do you know where the lake is?” After practice I headed back to my brothers to get my fireworks display for that night ready. I got in a little soccer practice with my nephews then got ready for the party. I had a posting a year ago talking about my favorite day of the year. I think this year solidified it. The 4th of July is the best day of the year. My grandfather’s birthday was on July 4th. All 35 years of my existence I have been going out to Lake Waterville for the 4th of July to celebrate. Shortly after my aunt and uncle built their house next to my grandfather’s farm, the party moved to their house. I think it is safe to say that every year this party gets bigger and better. And I can’t thank my aunt and uncle enough for putting on such a great party. I showed up promptly at noon for the party. I got in a quick couple laps across the bay as my exercise before I started in on the refreshments for the day. The thing I dislike the most about this day is that is so much fun and the day goes by do fast and at the end as you look back it is just one big blur. I got in a little bit of cards and after dinner there was a boat ride around the lake. When I got off the boat it was getting pretty dark and the kids were all asking me when the fireworks were going to start. This meant it was time for me to go to work and set things up. All evening, the people who stay for the fireworks every year were telling those that normally don’t, to stick around and that it will be worth it. Plus the fact that it was a Friday and most people did not have to work the next day, gave most people no excuse for leaving early. It was a good 20 minute firework display with a grand finale that I actually impressed myself with. I really didn’t get a chance to catch any of the display itself until I had lit off the last cake and got 50 feet or so away to watch the sky just light up with fire in the air during the finale. I took out one of my ear plugs and couldn’t believe how loud it was. As I said, I even amazed myself. I launched the fireworks down the hill and across the street from everyone up on the driveway. The euphoric feeling I got after it all of nearly my entire extended family (at least 70 people) standing and cheering for me as I walked up the hill was more than worth every penny I spent on the show. I had everyone from my youngest niece and nephew to my oldest uncle patting me on the back, shaking my hand and giving me a hug. Pretty cool. The night had been going well with no problems until around 12:30 when the cops showed up. My uncle had hired a DJ for the party and as my uncle was talking to the cops down on the street, you could hear the DJ playing "Bad boys bad boys, what ya gonna do, what ya gonna do when they come for you..." And they were playing it pretty loud. No tickets were issued. The remainder of the evening was spent around the fire pit having drinks. Tom Brady and I closed the party down at around 4:00 in the morning. I set up my tent and slept in the front yard. But as all campers know, you can never get enough sleep in a tent once that sun starts to rise. This made for an early morning and not enough sleep.

Here are my brothers, Dan, Jeff and Jon. I have no idea what was so funny. But then again they were looking at me, so maybe I just answered my own question.
Pocahontas flexing. Who does she learn this stuff from?My dad and my aunt Ellen dancing. Right after the fireworks my uncle insisted that I do a tequila popper with him. I didn't argue. But at this same time a number of people were heading home. They would come up to Dave to thank him, and with Justin and I standing there, we all started pressuring each person that came up to do a shot. We easily handed out 20 shots in about 5 minutes. Which gets me back to my aunt Ellen. We actually got aunt Ellen, shown here, to do one. Here is my cousin, Katie, or as I now call her, Poe, and my uncle Dave.I have to apologize that I didn't get more pictures on the 4th. I misplaced my camera around 9:00 and just didn't feel like looking for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your fireworks were great! Thanks again!