Monday, July 21, 2008

Weekend Recap

It was another jam packed weekend for me. Which is good, it keeps me moving but it also wears me out. Monday night I will most likely be in bed by 8:00.

Friday after work I headed down to Madison. I met up with Joe and Dawn, we went to the High Noon Saloon. They have live Karyoke there. Tom Brady, Pocahontas and Pocahontas' roommate, Marsha also, met us at the bar just as I was getting on stage to sing. It was pretty fun to be on stage with a real band and singing. I was a little nervous, but I want to do it again. We then proceeded to go to a couple bars for dinner and drinks. Jota met us out. He showed up on his moped. At the end of the evening Jota let me take the moped out for a spin. The problem was, that I didn't get proper instructions. It was an old moped that you have to pedal to get started. I would guess that I had to pedal that bike a mile or two before figuring out how to get it started. Once I got it started and buzzed around the capital a couple of time, I had a hard time remembering where I left everyone at. I went down a number of one way streets the wrong way.

Saturday morning was the Paddle / Portage with Tree. It was a pretty crazy scene at the start with 381 canoes all taking off at once. I liked the portage part of the race the best. We ran from lake to lake right in front of the capital. As I mentioned before Tree and I did some training for the race, but decided to scrap out portage strategy 5 minutes before the race started. But it all worked out pretty well, completing the course in 55 minutes. Overall we finished 152 out of 381 canoes. In our division we finished 58th out of 113. I am not the greatest navigator when it comes to canoes, and if I could have kept us on a much straighter course, we probably could have shaved off a couple more minutes on our time. I want to thank, Tom Brady, Pocahontas, Joe and Dawn from coming out to cheer us on. And I would like to especially like to thank Jota who half way through the portage threw water on us. It would have been real refreshing if the water wasn't 100 degrees.

After the race I went to Chris and Rebecca's for their annual horseshoe tournament / shrimp boil. It is a great party. I organized the horseshoe tournament. We had two pits going, double elimination, 20 teams, and I think it took somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 hours to finish. My team finished somewhere around 5 or 6th place. But as always the highlight of the party is the food. Tons of shrimp. Everything was so good. Thank you Chris and Rebecca for throwing out such a great spread.

Sunday was a family reunion. Normally we have it on a lake just outside of Dousman. But with all of the water we have had lately, and the condition of the beach there, we had to move the reunion to my brother's house. In reality it ends up just being the Davies and Sherman families that show up. A good portion of the day was taken up with some pool volleyball.

Here I am getting back Friday night with Jota's moped. I was just dripping with sweat after pedaling that thing all around Madison.

I should have taken more pictures at the shrimp boil. Here is the table with the shrimp. They just kept cooking the shrimp and then would dump them out on the table and you just came up to the table and picked away.Here are 9 of my 10 nieces and nephews in a line up pool side.
And then Pocahontas, the big bully, came along and pushed them all into the water. To think people say I am mean.Let the games begin, pool volleyball.You have to spike those Focker!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've sang the live karaoke 2x in my career. Way to pop the cherry buddy!

-Borky

Rickie Davies said...

Buddy,

If the timing works out, we are headed there for the night before the Gopher game.