Friday, January 02, 2009

New Years Resolutions

Here are my past resolutions.

2005. It actually was in February, but I swore of Buffalo Wings. That lasted a couple years, and then I caved one time when I was in Colorado because Russ ordered too many and they smelled great. I have once again had some problems with Buffalo Wings, so I am back off the wagon again. No wings.

2006. I boycotted fast food. Especially McDonalds, Burger King and Taco Bell. And I have yet to cave on this one at all. I did have a milk shake one time at McDonalds. But I really wouldn't count that. I plan to keep this one for a while. Also in 2006 I boycotted cell phones. I have since given up my land line and only have a cell phone. So that one is out the window.

2007. I gave up candy, chips, soda and french fries. I have found that I have been keeping these pretty well. Only giving in once in a great while. I also said that I was going to do a better job of introducing myself to people that I do not know. Still not very good at that.

2008. This was the year that I was going to stop swearing. I slip from time to time, but I still do not swear as much as I have in the past. My other big resolution was to work on my juggling skills. I have done an extremely poor job of working on my juggling.

For this year, I would like to reinforce a number of my previous resolutions and make a new commitment to myself to keeping them. And here they are:

No fast food, especially McDonalds, Burger King and Taco Bell. (Should be very easy)
No buffalo wings.
No candy.
No chips.
No soda. (except in mixed drinks)
No french fries.
No swearing.
Introduce myself better to people I don't know.

Since I have been back in Milwaukee I have slipped quite a bit in working out, but I know that will change. I need to just get through the holidays and settle down. Plus I know that once the weather starts to warm up in May or June I will be biking and running 5 to 6 times a week in preparation for triathlons. Plus cutting out the food above will help me in becoming more healthy. So I need something to new to add to this years list. This year's resolution was influenced by a report I saw on TV a couple weeks ago. They mentioned in this report that as people get older their tolerance for alcohol drops. And that the average adult between the age of 30 and 40 shouldn't have more than 5 drinks on any given evening. I don't want to say that it would be impossible for me to quit drinking. But I really don't want to quit drinking altogether. I am sure many people would agree that I am a little more fun when I have a couple of srinks in me. However, I would like to start to monitor my drinking. So my resolution for this year, if you want to believe it or not is to only drink one day a week, and on that day have no more than 5 drinks. I don't think that should be too hard to do. Although I could see a Brewer game where I do a 5 beer, beer bong and my drinking for the day is over in 30 seconds. And I am going to try to make it without drinking at all this new year until I head to Las Vegas in March.

I would like my loyal blog readers to call me on any and all of these resolutions if you see me breaking them.

MKA WHEN IS THE DAY?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What constitues "a drink" a 12oz. of something or the 32 oz. mixed drink that seems to be created at parties?

Rickie Davies said...

The standardized serving of an alcoholic beverage in the United States contains 0.6 fl. oz. of pure ethanol (17.75 ml). That is approximately the amount of ethanol in a 12-ounce serving of beer, a 5-ounce glass of wine, or a 1.5-ounce glass of a 40% ABV spirit.

Anonymous said...

Wow Rick, I feel like a real goof off. This year I plan on getting in shape and dropping fifteen pounds. I'm hitting the wii fit and that's about all. Of course, there's always Lent for a good short term give up. The hardest lenten fast was fasting from fighting with Gordy for forty days.
Annie

Anonymous said...

Wow, you promise to be a lot of fun in 2009:

You won't drink
You won't swear
But you will juggle?

Why don't you make your resolution to make better New Year Resolutions?

Or just give up sheepshead and officially turn in your "creep" card. Perhaps you are holding on a bit too tight?

Anonymous said...

Interesting resolutions Ricky. A twist on the "less alcohol" thing is to make a resolution of no hangovers. That is the resolution that I made. I REALLY hate hangovers, and I'm too old for it so I decided no hangovers this year. So far, so good --- granted, it is only Jan 14. But hey, no hangover on new year's so that is good. --- Shelly