Thursday, February 19, 2009

Crossroads

In life we all come to crossroads. And we need to make decisions. In fact we have a decision everyday when we wake up in the morning. We can choose to stay in bed or get up. Trust me that is debated in my head every single day. Some decisions in life are big, some small, some easy and some hard. This afternoon I was faced with a pretty big one that I have been debating over all evening. Some of you may know that I had an opportunity earlier this year to move to Florida for work that fell through. Well this afternoon my company's office in Florida called me about a project that they would like me to be in charge of. Although it isn't in Florida. It is in Louisiana, about an hour west of New Orleans. It is the replacement of a railroad swing bridge. It starts March 4th. Yes, that is 14 days away. And would last until October. The project schedule also includes working 14 days on, 7 days off for the length of the project.


Here in lies my debate. There is no question that this project would be a great career move. And would no doubt lead to bigger and better jobs. But I would be sacrificing my personal happiness for the sake of my career. I am just guessing but I don't think there is much to do in that part of the country. Then again, if I ended up staying in this area, I would be hurting my career, as the chance of expanding my knowledge and experience with movable bridges would be lost. Plus it is only for 8 months. I have always told my boss, whenever, wherever, just let me know. Obviously I need to decide what is most important to me. Strangely I don't know what is the most important to me. What is the most important to you? I also need to make this decision quickly, in fact I have to give an answer in the morning. Really how great have things been for me since I have returned to Milwaukee? If you have been reading my blog, it doesn't take too much research into the last couple months of postings to see that thing have been pretty bored. I mean did you see the Trebuchet I made?

I know my boss wants me to stick around to help our offices construction services department grow, but I know that he also does not want to hold me back in what is best for my career. So I don't think he is going to make this decision for me.

If I didn't have my house, I know that I jump at this opportunity right away. I just hate leaving my house empty.

Funny, life is all about timing. If it was two months ago, I am sure I would have jumped at this opportunity. Now I am not so sure.

Sorry, this is one of the deeper postings that I have had in a while, but I am just trying to think out loud.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This past Monday I celebrated the 10 year anniversary at my job. The VP of Operations came by my desk, gave me a little slug on the shoulder and said, "Here's to another 10 years!" Then promptly ran away.....my job is a sad unrewarding paycheck.

8 months goes as fast as a blink of the eye - if you love this job, then you are lucky; follow your heart...

Amanda Stocks Clausen follows your blog:)

Anonymous said...

What did you decide?

Anonymous said...

Buddy, take the job. 8 months? It's a Hockey season! It's nothing. If it helps your career, do it, while you're not tied down. In the long run you will be thankful you did. Your house will be there when you get back. If you're worried about the Freeman party, don't worry. I may change the format (no women or children, must be 21+ to enter, with the exception of some women who are "just trying to work their way through college"), but I got you covered!

-Bubs

Anonymous said...

Wow Rick that's a hard one. Hope you think it over well and then whatever you decided we're with you.
Annie