Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Idle Hands

Yes, that is what they say. Idle hands are the devils workshop. When Nate used to live with me, we were watching Junkyards Wars on TV one night. The mission was to build machine that would launch pumpkins a certain distance. One of the teams built a trebuchet. Since that day, I have always wanted to build one. Yesterday I was quite bored at work and I did a little research on the internet. I spent a little time putting a plan together and right after work I headed to Home Depot to pick up most of the proper materials. And it didn't really take too long and I had it all but built. I have some fine tuning to do yet. I would like to replace the swinging rod. Plus I have yet to get my hands on a counterweight. Those are items that I will most likely take care of this evening. So if all goes well, I should have it operational by the end of the week.

This is only really a prototype. I have designed this trebuchet to launch a tennis ball or an egg. I may eventually build a larger trebuchet that will have the capability of launching water balloons. A new trebuchet will be highly dependant upon the results of this current contraption.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks very nice.

Anonymous said...

Looks like the chair from Burn After Reading.

-Bubs

Rickie Davies said...

Do you want to come and sit on it?

Anonymous said...

What Bubs said....

do it!!!!

-borky

Anonymous said...

Nice work ... I see trouble brewing this summer.
Annie