Friday, April 02, 2010

All Along the Watchtower

Bubs brought up this song. Bob Dylan recorded the song on November 6, 1967, at Columbia Studio A in Nashville, Tennessee.

It has been covered by many artists. Bubs claims that the Jimi Hendrix cover is the best version. I found this quote on the internet, so take it for what it is worth, but this is what Bob Dylan had to say about Jimi's interpretation:"It overwhelmed me, really. I took license with the song from his version, actually, and continue to do it to this day.....I liked Jimi Hendrix's record of this and ever since he died I've been doing it that way... Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it's a tribute to him in some kind of way."

Here are links to the original and covers that I found on Youtube.

Bob Dylan

Jimi Hendrix

U2

Dave Matthews

Dave Mason Band (This one is for you Borky)

Neil Young

The Grateful Dead

Bryan Ferry

Pearl Jam

1 comment:

Bubs said...

If Bobby D himself thinks so, it's gotta be true!