Thursday, April 08, 2010

NCAA

The tournament is over. And it very well may be the last great NCAA Basketball tournament. If it goes to 96 teams as has been highly speculated, it will become a watered down version of what is the greatest sports spectacle in the United States. If it's not broken don't fix it. But the powers that be in the NCAA are greedy. They can make all the claims that want about why they are expanding the field, but they are full of shit. It is all about the money. I have yet to hear anyone on any radio talk show or television program make the argument that first popped into my head when I heard that they were going to expand the field. They shouldn't be allowed to change the college basketball playoffs until they fix the college football playoffs. I am baffled that these "intelligent" and greedy people that run college athletics fail to see the incredible amounts of money that a football playoff would generate. I have said it before, but a college playoff, ideally 16 teams, but even more practically, 8 teams, would be the greatest sporting event in the country without a doubt. Yes, bigger than the Super Bowl. Somehow, I got off the topic, so let's bring this thing back around.
It was a great tournament. Any causal viewer was most definitely pulling for the underdog, Butler. They had a couple lapses in concentration on inbound plays and their starting center missed a number of bunnies that would have, and could have swung the game into their favor. And in spite of all of that, the nearly won on a last second shot. It would have been great to see that half court shot go in. I give Butler a ton a credit, I thought this game would be a blowout by halftime, even though I was pulling for Butler. And that center for Duke, Zoubek, how can you have a 5 inch height advantage and not dominate the game?
As for my pool, my brother-in-law, Tim, took home top prize. Congratulations.
Oh and as a side note to the game. I have been told that I look like Kyle Singler(in the top photo), the Most Outstanding Player of the winning Duke Blue Devils. I guess we do look a little alike, but he isn't quite the basketball player that I am.
Your Lyric of the Day:
Hand out the arms and ammo.
We're going to blast our way through here.
We got to get together sooner or later.
Because the revolution's here.
And you know it's right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do look like the Duke player.....but you are much more handsome

Rickie Davies said...

Unfortunately also much much older.